News:

Dear forum visitors, if the support forum is not available, please try again a few minutes later. Thanks!

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Moving files from 1 category to another

Started by wolfspyryt, 11.07.2017 18:36:19

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfspyryt

I have a category that has around 8k uploads. Compared to other categories with around 1k uploads, the category with 8k uploads is extremely slow.
It has been suggested to improve performance, that I create multiple categories and move most of the uploads to new categories of 1k uploads each.
It was also suggested to me that I edit the database call and limit the output to 10 results. As I am not confident I can do that I have avoided trying.
I currently have the "Joomla Native Cache" enabled and set to last 20 minutes. That improves the speed of each page, however it creates numerous problems when someone is uploading as it caches all the edit icons, upload page etc. Even features and menu items set for only registered members to view is pulled from the cached view for all to view. That also occurs if I login as admin. Obviously, that is not a jDownloads problem, I simply am trying to explain what I have tried.
So I need to find a way to turn off caching and gain page load speed, as the most popular category is huge in content, but slow to load the page..
If I create 7 new categories, at the same menu level as the existing one... what is the best way to move around 7k uploads? I really dread moving 1 by 1...
Thanks for the help as always.
Terry
www.watchawear.com
  •  

Arno

Hi Terry,
can you tell me how long is the loading time for a category with thousand Downloads and how long for the biggest (8k) when you disable the cache option?

Can it be that you have installed some other extensions which use own system or content plugins?
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

ColinM

Terry
In response to
QuoteIf I create 7 new categories, at the same menu level as the existing one... what is the best way to move around 7k uploads? I really dread moving 1 by 1...
You could use the batch mode in Downloads to copy or move Downloads to another category.  But would not do all at once! I would be cautious and start with say 50 downloads at a time depending on size of files. You could be ultra cautious and do a copy.  Obviously do a backup first. Also as your site is a busy one I would suggest you set it offline for users whilst you do some moving/copying
Method is first create the relevant Cats as usual
Next go to Downloads, tick the Downloads you want to copy/move
Click on Batch, select either copy or move and go

But following Arno might produce a better long term result with less bother.
Colin
Colin M
  •  

wolfspyryt

Thank you Colin and Arno for your assistance and replies.
Colin, that is good advice. When I start, if it must be done, I'll go offline and go slowly via the batch feature starting with a small amount each time and verify of course.

Arno,
Without having cache enabled....
The largest category with 8k takes me 10 seconds on a 40mb fiber optical connection around 700 miles from the server.
The other, smaller categories take approximately 2-3 seconds.

Witb cache enabled...
Large and small categories are nearly identical.

With the large difference between large and small categories, it seems that it is size based. Tests done by my Co-location host, found that it was the page request was sorting the entire category and that is a great deal of data points. They suggested that I add some limit in the database calculations to only grab 10 records at a time. I created an android app that acceses the database and displays the results on phone or tablet. The app limits the results to 10. It is extremely fast and I can scroll through effortlessly. So I believe they are correct that adding a limit to the database call would work. Problem is, I am not smart enough.
I hope one way or another you both can assist me with this. Having the cache on us very problematic. Even uploading to the biggest category takes me 10 to 20 seconds to complete. Others it's even slower around the world.
Again, thank you both... I couldn't have this website without you jdownloads or your generous help.
  •  

wolfspyryt

I had to disable Cache.... It was causing members to view the last members upload list and other member pages like the members profile edit page. The load time is now unbearable.
  •  

Arno

Hi wolfspyryt,
I have tried to check your backend to find the reason for your problem.
To ensure that it has really to do with jDownloads I will make a test here locally with 10,000 Downloads. And another one with 500. Give me a day.

For me could be the reason also a system plugin from another component. But well, we'll see.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

wolfspyryt

Arno,

I sent new login information through Private Message here. I sent a couple days ago. Did it not work?
Thank you for your help! I deeply appreciate it!!!

Terry
(a.k.a. WolfSpyryt)
  •  

wolfspyryt

Arno,
Any news on the page load times? The site is almost ready to collapse. Please assist.
  •  

Arno

Hi,
I have tested it now locally. See pics with results.
The problem could be (partialy) the part to get the permissions. Could you please check how many data sets exist in your '_assets' database table?

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
  •  

wolfspyryt

Arno, I checked as you asked. There are 14,163 rows. Here are screenshots that may help[ you.

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
  •  

wolfspyryt

Hello Arno,
Any news on this? Thank you for your help.
Terry
  •