News:

Dear forum visitors, if the support forum is not available, please try again a few minutes later. Thanks!

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Cyrillic symbols in file name

Started by okb2, 20.04.2017 08:39:07

Previous topic - Next topic

okb2

I can't get cyrillic symbols in  file name in Downloads. "??.txt" looks like "Dh°Dh±.txt" after downloading.
"Use UTF-8" set to YES. But I can use cyrillic symbols i category name. For example "????". If I rename manualy url_download in data base to "??.txt" and rename manually file name to "??.txt" I can download this file as "??.txt".
If "Use UTF-8" set to NO I have the same file name "Dh°Dh±.txt".

Can anybody help me with this problem.
  •  

ColinM

Hi
You might find the article
http://www.jdownloads.net/documentations/item/accented-characters-utf-8-folder-and-file-names?category_id=29
a useful starting point. 
We have found that the most likely cause is that the server does not support UTF-8.  Translieration provides a useful way forward.
Colin
Colin M
  •  

okb2

Hi! Thank you for the answer. I have already read this article but it didn't help me. I don't understand what does it means "server does not support UTF-8". I have FreeBSD 11 with UTF-8 locale,mariadb101-server-10.1.22_1, show create database like " CREATE DATABASE `<dbname>` /*!40100 DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 */", I use ufs file system and try to use zfs file system (it was no differens). I have tested JDownloads with Joomla 3.6.5.  on ArchLinux (with Ext4)  but I had the same result. My site has UTF-8 encoding. I think that function utf8_latin_to_ascii works when "Use UTF-8" is ON and   when "Use UTF-8" is OFF(It may be wrong, because I was not good at PHP).   Transliteration will be good for me but it doesn't work properly. "??.txt" must be "ab.txt" after transliteration, but I have "Dh°Dh±.txt". Help me please to understand what I do wrong for using UTF-8, and how can I set proper transliteration for the file names  (Alias transliteration works good."????" properly transformed into "test")  if it is not possible to use   cyrillic characters in file names.   (?yrillic characters in file names in Joomla article works properly. I can upload,download and create links on the file. ) Thank you for the help...
  •  

ColinM

Hi
On your server can you have Cyrillic Names for Folders and Files?  Do you have examples?

jD uses the Joomla! Transliteration code.  Thus the Title of the Download could remain in Cyrillic but the file name is the transliterated version.

Afraid I do not know about BSD 11 or details of web servers.

Colin
Colin M
  •  

okb2

Hi! Yes, I  have Cyrillic Names for Folders and Files. In Joomla! article I inserted example link on file (see attached pictures) "http:/<sitename>.ru/images/????/????.txt" as link property. If I copied it link to clipboard in web-browser (site character set is UTf-8) I have "http://<sitename>.ru/images/%D0%A2%D0%B5%D1%81%D1%82/%D1%82%D0%B5%D1%81%D1%82.txt", but when I try to save it I have proper cyrillic file name "????.txt". When I make Download in JDownloads with this file "????.txt" I get download link "http://<sitename>.ru/arkhiv-dokumentov/send/14-test/39-test-txt". When I try to "Save link as..." I get this "N?DhuNN?.txt" as file name. It appears when configuration is set to: Use UTF-8=YES, Replace spaces with underscores in names?=NO,Change names to lowercase?=NO,Remove/Change special characters in name?=NO. When configuration is set to: Use UTF-8=NO, Replace spaces with underscores in names?=YES,Change names to lowercase?=YES,Remove/Change special characters in name?=YES. I get "http://<sitename>.ru/arkhiv-dokumentov/send/14-test/39-test-txt" in clipboard, but when I try to "Save link as..." get this "n_dhun_n.txt" as file name. It is not what I want :).   By transliteration rules "????.txt" should translate into ''test.txt", but I have "n_dhun_n.txt" :( I don't know how to   use cyrillic symbols or properly translated cyrillic symbols in file names in Downloads. Or I should modify  function utf8_latin_to_ascii to have proper transliteration? Thanks for the answer!

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
  •  

Arno

Hi,
I think that jDownloads is the only Joomla download manager which try to support all characters. But this is not always easy. We had prior a few russian and hebrew users which had helped us by this problems. So I know that this works properly when all settings are correct. But basicly, UTF-8 must be supported on your servers filesystem (maybe not the correct term but i know not another in my bad english). Contact your hoster to get a right information. The fact that you can see kyrillic characters in your servers file manager is not really a sure evidence for this. So please contact your hoster.  In my case i must move my website to another server before I could test it at that time.

Another tip:
Maybe should you search here in the forum to terms like 'kyrillic', 'russian' or 'utf8'.

Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

okb2

Hi, thank you for your answer. In this case I am hoster  :) But now I don't have enough skills to solve this problem by myself. I will follow  your advice to search some information there. And now I do  manual transliteration of the file names. If I could solve the problem I will  post decision here. It will be great if some people who can describe how to do cyrillic support or proper cyrillic transliteration make an information post or article. Thanks...
  •  

ColinM

Hi
When you say you are the hoster could you advise which software you are using to provide the hosting service please.
Colin
Colin M
  •  

okb2

Hi. I sad that I am hoster... But it means that I have own server which I use as web-server for my organization. My organization is not hosting provider and  I try to  use JDownloads to make documents archive. If you are interesting in type of Software I have used  you may ask me for details. Something about it  I have told below... "I have FreeBSD 11 with UTF-8 locale,mariadb101-server-10.1.22_1, show create database like " CREATE DATABASE `<dbname>` /*!40100 DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 */", I use ufs file system and try to use zfs file system (it was no differens). ".  Thanks for the answer!
  •