News:

Dear forum visitors, if the support forum is not available, please try again a few minutes later. Thanks!

Main Menu
Support-Forum

External File Preview

Started by chasestar989, 27.01.2017 03:45:10

Previous topic - Next topic

chasestar989

To whom it may concern,

I love the product BTW.  I would like to know if there is a way to preview the file (mp4) when it is hosted on an external server.  If so how can I accomplish it.  And if not, I think that is a feature desperately needed. 

I want to give my users a preview of a video file, then set up a form for them to approve the video, then allow them to download the file once they have approved it.  Please let me know if this functionality exists or if there is another way to achieve the desired result.

Thank you for your time
  •  

ColinM

Hi
The simple answer is Yes you can.
In principle the Preview file is separate from the file that is Downloadable file.  They only become the same if no Preview file is explicitly added.
In the Files Section when creating or editing a Download then there are separate fields to specify the Preview file and the Downloadable file. The Preview file must be on the same server that is running jD.  The Downloadable file may be either on the same server as jD or as an External file on another server.  Please see pic attached

Colin

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
Colin M
  •  

chasestar989

ColinM,

Thank you for your response, however I think you misunderstood the question.  I am trying to find out if there is a way to show a preview of a file that is not hosted on the same server as my joomla installation.  It doesn't sound like there is a way to do that.  However, If I am mistaken feel free to correct me.

If I am correct.  I would like to request this feature in the next upgrade.  With many files being hosted with cloud services like AWS and Azure, I believe this to be a critical feature.

And again thank you for your time.
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Presently the Preview file has to be on the same server.  It is intended as as 'shorter'  and therefore much smaller file. 

Using a  preview located elsewhere can be 'challenging' as whether or not it will be viewable with appropriate controls will often depend upon the user's browser settings.  That is it cannot be guaranteed to be shown whereas one has assurance in the present scheme.

So there are some obstacles at the present time, the cloud is not the panacea for all things!!
But we will keep it under review
Colin
Colin M
  •