News:

Dear forum visitors, if the support forum is not available, please try again a few minutes later. Thanks!

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Files corrupted on frontend, can be downloaded on backend - [Not a jD problem]

Started by nonodel, 05.02.2016 04:48:07

Previous topic - Next topic

nonodel

Hello, thanks for such useful tool.

I've been using it for years now, but never had a problem until now, I have around 140 downloads, most of them are PDF or Excel. When I try to download a file it tries to open in a new window, but only letters and charactes appear, the file is not opened by the default application (Adobe Reader or Excel).

Now, thought this was a problem on my side, but many guests have confirmed the same errror. I thought the file might be corrupted, but inside the setting it appears and you can download it correctly from the backend.

I downloaded the last version of the component and installed again, the error persists. I tried with more files and aswell, they work on the backend and not the frontend. I even tried uploading a zip file, but it never promts to download and just opens the weird characters page instead (attached image).

What can be wrong? What should I do?  :(

Here is my site: http : //goo.gl/41Yl4M

Thanks

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
  •  

Arno

Hi,
nobody else seems in the moment to have this problem.

Over the last years exist maybe a handful postings with an issue like yours.
In all this cases was not jDownloads the reason.

So you should check your plugins (at first the system plugins). 
- Deactivate for a test all non core plugins. But create before a screenshot from the activated plugins. So it is easier to activate it later again.
- try the again the download
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

nonodel

Alright, I'll start with that and update about it, it's just that the component worked for several years and suddenly stopped working yesterday.

Now, is it possible to uninstall and reinstall the component without losing data? Last week I had several hacker attacks. Yesterday I reinstalled without uninstalling, hoping this could fix the issue, but no luck.

Now, instead of using a file I put an external link to and upload service and it worked, seems to be a local problem.

thanks, will update a later after testing the plugins
  •  

nonodel

Hello! I tried everything and the issue persists.

I made a full copy of the site and tested it using a xampp server, changed the folder path and tested it... it worked flawlessly.

I tried doing something similar in the online site, rechecked the files and the component says it's alright, that all the files are available, tried once again with the same result.

You think something is corrupt on my server? How should I approach this? :(

I checked the links online site doesn't seem to call for the component to download the file, is this normal?

http: // localhost/testsite/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&task=download.send&id=228&catid=6&m=0&Itemid=130

vs.

http: // www.mysite.mx/biblioteca/prensa/send/6-category/228-filename

Thanks
  •  

Arno

Quotehttp: // localhost/testsite/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&task=download.send&id=228&catid=6&m=0&Itemid=130
vs.
http: // www.mysite.mx/biblioteca/prensa/send/6-category/228-filename
You have on your live site activated the Joomla sef option but not in the xampp installation.

When you do not need any limitations for user groups, you could try to send the document directly to the browser.
Deactivate for this the option on the pic below.

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

nonodel

Seems to be working now! Don't understand what is the issue behind, but it's a lot better now.

Now, with this, the folder structure will be seen by everybody, can I prevent file linking with an htaccess rule?

I see the information inside and says: Beware!: If this option is deactivated then you must not activate the .htaccess option in the Security section of the Configuration.

thank you very much!  ;D
  •  

Arno

QuoteSeems to be working now! Don't understand what is the issue behind, but it's a lot better now.
It is only a temporary solution until you have found the reason for the problem.

QuoteNow, with this, the folder structure will be seen by everybody, can I prevent file linking with an htaccess rule?
No. But normally should it not possible for visitors to get the folder files listed.

Maybe can you send me login data for your backend (as super user) via PM. I think still it is a plugin.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
  •  

Arno

Many thanks for the login data.
I have checked your backend but could not find the cause.
But when i check the difference between both download methods, i have find out that the file is manipulated (with the script download method). In this case are some parts added at the begin and the end from the file. So the file has not longer a valid format. It can be that this will be added via a plugin or another bad script. It can not be a part from jDownloads.

So you should use still the alternate configuration setting (until you have identified the causer).
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
  •  

nonodel

Thank you for taking time to check the site, certainly, something strange is there... I checked with my host and they can't find anything on their logs, guess I'll make a local installation with all the plugins I have and then compare the files to see if there are differences between them.

If I find something I'll let you know :)
  •  

Arno

QuoteI'll make a local installation with all the plugins
The easiest way could be to use the akeeba backup extension.  ;)
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
  •  

nonodel

But that would also replicate bad files, or not? Hmm... I'll also give it a try. Thanks!
  •  

Arno

Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
  •