News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Upgrade from 1.9.1.11 to 3.2.27

Started by makitso, 12.03.2015 14:51:50

Previous topic - Next topic

makitso

I have a site running Joomla 3.4 and jdownloads 1.9.1.11.  I am considering migrating to 3.2.x, which appears to be a significant step. 
I have review the documentation included in "How to upgrade jDownloads component from 1.9.2.11 to latest 3.x version?" at URL http://www.jdownloads.com/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&Itemid=133&view=view.download&catid=43&cid=337.

However, section 12 leaves me a bit confused -- meaning to me that it is not vary clear to me.  There is a link on that page to jDownload ACL notes, but the link is bad. 

So, I have 5 user groups and don't really know what I am to do?? 
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Thanks for letting me know the link was broken.  Have now fixed.  There is another simpler one which might help http://www.jdownloads.net/documentations/item/notes-on-permissions

Are you used to Joomla! Permissions and Access levels?  As a first step it depends whether you are wanting Downloads by Public or restricted to users who login.  The permission screen during the migrate will change what is known as the Component Permissions.  So you either change those of the Public Group to have Downloads permission as Allowed or the Registered group permission to Allowed.  This is like the first example in the referenced doc.  It is a good starting point from which you can progress.

Colin
Colin M
  •  

makitso

Thank you Colin,  I will review the new link and your response.

Rob
  •  

makitso

Well, I attempted the upgrade on my development system and everything looked OK.  However, a site visitor can not see the categories.

I did change the Public download Action to Allow.  However, as referenced in step 13, I saw no new links?  I suspect that this is the problem since visitors and Super User can not see the categories.

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
  •  

makitso

For what its worth, the link I have is localhost/index.php/en/add-ons/add-ons
  •  

makitso

OK, I figured it out, I needed to go into my menu system and re-establish the linkage.
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Glad that progress is being made!  Think that going back to sort the menus is somewhere near the end.  It is a challenging document to write when there was no guidance so I am always eager to find and improve.

The next aspect that people often face is the Joomla Permissions systems.  I have several examples in
http://www.jdownloads.net/documentations/item/controlled-access-to-categories-and-downloads

Colin
Colin M
  •