News:

Dear forum visitors, if the support forum is not available, please try again a few minutes later. Thanks!

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Random Download Module /Zuf

Started by fremder, 15.02.2016 11:10:28

Previous topic - Next topic

fremder

Hallo ich wollte wissen, weil ich nichts fand, gibt es die M
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Google Translate gave me
"Hello I wanted to know because I found nothing, there is the M"

I do not understand your question, and why would anyone want a random download??
Colin
Colin M
  •  

fremder

I am sorry i thought here are people who understand german

i want to have a module for showing random downloads. is there a possibility to make this? just like other modules but it shows evertime other downloads.
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Arno is native German but I am only good for restaurants travel and the like!  It depends which one of us picks up things.
Obviously all is possible but I am not sure if this would be of interest to many people.  Would you want this from any category or just from a specific category?  We have a lot of other outstanding suggestions that we will be implementing soon.  Presently we are getting ready to launch the new <div based layouts.

Implementation is not a problem as one can get the number of downloads subject to some criteria and then use a uniform probability random number generator to select the position in the list.

Please could you perhaps tell us how you would use it.

Colin
Colin M
  •  

fremder

thanks

i want to show it from all categories. like the top downloads module, i can say a number like 10 and then evertime i get on the webseite or to this module it shows me 10 diffirent or randomly chosen downloads. do you understand ? i dondt know is my english good enough
  •  

ColinM

Hi
I understand what you are requesting.  Will move this topic into suggestions.
Colin
Colin M
  •  

fremder

Hello is there anything new? cant we add random download it top module? instead of show the top 10 downloads, it should show everytime or set a time maybe every hour it shows orther random files...

is this possible??
  •  

ColinM

Hi
This is a little more complex   than one may think initially.  Most uniform probability random number generators generate a random value between zero and unity and then covert to a specific range.  A typical php function is m_rand which allows setting a start and end value to the range.  Obviously to select a Download at random one would need to find the lowest and highest id values and then use those to generate a random number.
Finding the range is not itself sufficient as one has to take into account if a category and its sub categories are selected,  Further there is no guarentee that all ids in a range have appropriate permissions, view access and similar.  Then of course there will be gaps in the permitted ranges.  That would mean multiple attempts to see if an id exists and if it is valid.  In principle therecould be a large number of invalid ids taking an unknown time.

Colin
Colin M
  •  

fremder

thank u for ur answer, so u think this will not come in the end because it is to complex

... is there an alternative?
  •