News:

Dear forum visitors, if the support forum is not available, please try again a few minutes later. Thanks!

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Need Pubic view but only Registered User can download - [Solved]

Started by chepp, 17.02.2015 05:25:04

Previous topic - Next topic

chepp

I'm assuming you answered this somewhere, but I can't find it.  I did find some posts were close but not quite my issue.

I have categories where I want Public to be able to see files but not be able to download them.  You need to be logged in with a minimum of Registered to download these files. If I restrict Public download access, then nobody but superadmins can download the files.  The previous version had a setting "Pubic view but only Registered User can download" which looks to be no longer available.  How do I duplicate the previous functionality?

I started with Joomla! 2.5.28 and jDownloads 1.9.1.6 Stable, uninstalled jDownloads, upgraded to Joomla! 3.3.6 and installed jDownloads Version 3.2.25 beta.

Thanks
  •  

amgjdown

Go to "System" "Configuration" and "JDownloads". Check rights of usergroup "Registered" (if this is the usergroup of registered users on your site) und set right "Download" to "allowed".

Also check user rights in your JDownloads Settings under "Category". Registered users should have an "allowed" at "Download right".

JDownloads "Downloads settings" should have Access rights set to "public". Scroll down to rights and check if "Registered" has Download right.
  •  

Arno

Go to "System" "Configuration" and "JDownloads". Check rights of usergroup "Registered" (if this is the usergroup of registered users on your site) und set right "Download" to "allowed".

Also check user rights in your JDownloads Settings under "Category". Registered users should have an "allowed" at "Download right".
JDownloads "Downloads settings" should have Access rights set to "public". Scroll down to rights and check if "Registered" has Download right.
When you have stored the general components permissions in this way (first line), all childrens (Categories and Downloads) should (normally) inherit this rule.

You will also find some examples and instructions about 'permission settings' in the documentation:
http://www.jdownloads.net/documentations/category/jdownloads-version-3-2
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

ColinM

Hi
The article link below may help.  It is not exactly your scene but you should be able to see the differences.  The second and third examples are close to your requirements.
Note that as well as permissions you also need to consider view access.  Also you may need 3 user groups, The Public group with no permissions but able to see existence of download, the Registered Group with Download Permissions, and an 'uploader' group with parent Registered.  Set the jD User group settings ranking of uploader group above that of Registered.  Set all Access levels to public , this is the usual default.  If you have a menu item to allow people to up load create a view level, say uploader-view, with uploader group as its only member and set access level to uploader-view.

You can also cater for different 'permissions' for different categories, so you might like some 'taster' downloads for the public.  This is an example in the document

http://www.jdownloads.net/documentations/item/controlled-access-to-categories-and-downloads

Colin
Colin M
  •  

chepp

I figured out what I was doing wrong - I had Public set to Denied instead of Inherited.  Once I fixed that everything started working.  Thanks for your help.
  •