News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Permissions after upgrade - [Solved]

Started by mjvvorst, 08.01.2015 16:09:58

Previous topic - Next topic

mjvvorst

In another thread I read that I'm not the only one with a permissionproblem after an upgrade.
Let me tell you what I did:
- I upgraded my (test)site from Joomla 2.5 to J!3.3.6, and in the process did an upgrade from jD 1.9 to 3.2.21
- so far so good; it all seems to work, except the jD permissions.
- global and category permissions were all set to 'inherited'.
The problem is:
When I change a permission in a category, the calculated permissions of the downloads in that category are not changed!
I need to 'touch' each of those downloads (I mean open and save) individually to really inherit the changed permission.
I my case that involves many hundreds of downloads!
As far as I know there is no tool available to change the calculated settings.
Any suggestion?
  •  

ColinM

Hi
It is a peculiarity of Joomla! that the true calculated permissions are not shown until you do a Save.  That does not mean the permissions are not in place, it just looks as if they are wrong! ::)

However I will re-look at the permission passing again to see if one really does need to touch them to ensure they are actually in place.  I think I can use the ACL manager Component for that.  But will also try with article Show Permissions Overview see http://www.jdownloads.net/documentations/item/show-permissions-overview?category_id=32

Colin
Colin M
  •  

mjvvorst

Colin,
Thanks for the prompt answer.
As a test I changed the downloadpermissions of a category with some 60 downloads from "inherited'/'not allowed' to 'allowed' for both public and registered groups. Permissions of this category are confirmed to have been changed.
None of permissions of the downloads in this category seem to have changed: all still "inherited'/'not allowed'.
And it just doesn't look like there are wrong: they are wrong!
None of the downloads in this category can be downloaded with jD! (I didn't check the database btw, I wouldn't know how to do that!).
I 'touched' two downloads and ..... eureka! those two can be downloaded.
I don't know whether this is Joomla! or jD!
But it shure is a hassle to get it right when a permission on global/category level is changed.
It's a pitty in such a great component!
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Not completely finished checking but think you may be right about the import process.  Have a few queries to help me understand/diagnose. 
1. What permissions did you set up when you did the import (jDownloads should have asked you to set up permissions)?
2. Have you made any extra user groups and if so did you set up User Group Setting for the new group(s)?
3. Are your downloads to be publicly available or only to Registered users?
4. What have you set your Category permission to for the relevant user groups?

Recently I have rewritten the article on Controlled Access...  http://www.jdownloads.net/documentations/item/controlled-access-to-categories-and-downloads
That may help.

I have just re-tested manually uploading up files into an existing directory with auto monitoring off  just to see all was well in a post import state - it is ok. That is the cascading of permissions works OK generally. 

It will take me some time to reset my test system to re-check an import so could you please let me know that if you change the permissions of a category then the permission change does cascade down to the Downloads from the category and through any intermediate sub categories.  Have re-confirmed on my test system that it works fine.

Colin
Colin M
  •  

mjvvorst

Colin,
Although I did an upgrade, I'm not talking about import/upgrade.
I'm talking about a stable website with J! and jD, where a permission is changed; and underlying objects (categories, sub-categories, download-items) are not set to the new permission-status!
I use the standard J! user groups, didn't change a thing. No extra usergroups.
As I stated earlier, on my local testsite I started with everything "inherited' and calculated 'not allowed'.
I then changed one category to 'download-allowed' (and calculated 'allowed') but the calculated permissions for the sub-categories/download-items did't change. Whether it's public or registered is not important.
The permission-change seems not to have any affect to related underlying objects.

•  

ColinM

Hmm! As far as  the tests we have carried out permissions do cascade AOK since jD3.2.19. Think it would be useful if I could look at your sight at admin level. If this is possible could you please send details via a Private Message (use icon next to my name).  Also could you try creating a new top level category and a download to see if that is ok please.  This is puzzling!
Colin
Colin M
  •  

Arno

Hi Guys,
i will also start again a test. Maybe i have an idea about the reason... but i will first check it.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

Arno

I have now the results from my newest test but i can not reproduce the problems from mjvvorst.
For me works all properly.  :)

My test list:
- delete all items from earlier jD installation in the test environment (all extensions, then manually all jD db tables and the jdownloads upload folder and the jD folder in /images)
- so we can start with a clean environment
- install now the last 1.9.2.11
- go to configuration and deactivate the auto monitoring option
- in my case i will use a backup file from an early 1.9.2 installation ( here are already some items stored)
- so i must delete before now the 'Category example' folder in the jD upload root folder (/jdownloads)
- when you have not really the folder and files structure as stored in the backup file, you must also change the 'auto monitoring' setting in the backup file (search: 'files.autodetect','1' and change it to 'files.autodetect','0')
- use now the 'Backup restoration' to get the data from the backup
- deinstall the 1.9.2.x with all other jD extensions now
- install then the last version 3.2.21
- set the new global permission settings via 'options' button in  jD control panel (i set here only the download permissions for the public user group on 'allowed'
- start now the import process

Directly after the end from the import i have checked the permissions.
See below the results.

Edit:
mjvvorst, when you will you can send me a link to your backup file (from the old jD 1.9.x installation) via PM. Then i can it test here again with your data.

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

mjvvorst

Quote from: ColinM on 09.01.2015 08:14:22
Hmm! As far as  the tests we have carried out permissions do cascade AOK since jD3.2.19. Think it would be useful if I could look at your sight at admin level. If this is possible could you please send details via a Private Message (use icon next to my name).  Also could you try creating a new top level category and a download to see if that is ok please.  This is puzzling!
Colin
Colin,
I'm testing on a local installation (localhost), so can't give you a link.
I will next study the remarks of Arno.
Mark
  •  

mjvvorst

Arno,
I did step-by-step what you described.
Took a lot of time (backup/deinstall current jD/install 1.9.2.11/restore/deinstall 1.9.2.11/install 3.2.21/import/etc...)
But...., it all works now!
Permissions are really inherited.
Obviously I did something wrong in my initial upgrade.
Following your instructions I did the upgrade again.
It works great!
Arno, thanks for your reaction.
Mark

•  

Arno

Hi Mark,
good to read your result. ;)

I think you had forget this point:
Quote- set the new global permission settings via 'options' button in  jD control panel (i set here only the download permissions for the public user group on 'allowed'
Here must be set really a rule like 'allowed' or 'denied'. 'inherited' is here not useful as it exist not a parent item for this action rule.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
  •  

mjvvorst

Arno,
That makes sense.
One question: in your step-by-step description of your test: did you leave the original download-files in the jDownloads upload directory during all steps? Your backup/restore is only for the database, not for the files themselves!
Thank you,
Mark
  •  

Arno

Hi Mark,
Quotedid you leave the original download-files in the jDownloads upload directory during all steps?
When you use my instructions is this not really required as the auto monitoring is always deactivated. So the upload folder structure must not really exist. ;)
So it is possible to import only the db tables locally in the new format and put it then on the server installation.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
  •  

mjvvorst

•