News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Should I use 3.2 Beta or what, for a new installation

Started by seaj, 16.10.2014 09:30:58

Previous topic - Next topic

seaj

Greetings

I need to install JDownloads for a private site (whole component view-able to members only).

The dilemma is that announcement indicates we should avoid using 1.9 version and move to newly written (from ground-up ) 3.2 for new installations, as this will be the version for future developments. However, the official article suggests "use of this version on a publicly accessible production site is not recommended currently"

What should I do? Is this a caution warring to be on safe side or I need to really avoid using 3.2 Beta?

p.s thanks for sharing this great component with community, I do plan to donate, as soon as I get paid!

Best
  •  

Arno

Hi,
no problem. Please use now the new series. Also a stable version shall be now very soon.

Quote"use of this version on a publicly accessible production site is not recommended currently"
I wiil update the text...
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

seaj

Thank you Arno

I am testing it and everything are so far great. I have some suggestion and a questions that I will create a topic accordingly.
  •  

Nyx

Hi,

Is it recommend to wait to the final, before start a migration to jdownloads 3.x ?
Or is the beta 3.2.16 ok for production website?

Are there planning changes (from j downloads 3.2.16 to 3 - Final) in the CSS, etc. ?
  •  

Arno

Hi Nyx,
i think the beta version is ready for a productive website.

But when you need the jD content plugin you should wait a few days. The new plugin version is in work and should also be ready soon.

When you must update from the early version 1.9.2 and you have here a lot of items, you should do the update work on an local test environment like xampp. So you can reduce the problems with server timeouts. So i know that another user had on this way succesful updated jDownloads with more then 100,000 downloads!

Edit: Corrections are possible yet in language or css files.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

Nyx

Hi Arno,

thanks for your fast answer.
Then I will beginn with my migration Tests ;-)
From jDownloads 1.8.2 to 3.x

Thanks for your tipps, i have a Local & Remote Testserver.
I will test it on both.
  •  

Arno

QuoteFrom jDownloads 1.8.2 to 3.x
Ähm... i am not sure that this is possible. Please check the documentation.
I think in this case must you update at first to jD 1.9.2.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
  •  

Nyx

hi,

Yes I know it.
I hope a Migration will work.

I must: JD 1.8.2 (jommla1.5) -> JD 1.9.2 (jommla3.2 (or 3.3.6 ?)) -> JD 3.x (joomla3.3.6)

http://www.jdownloads.net/documentations/item/how-to-move-jdownloads-1-8-x-from-joomla-1-5-to-joomla-2-5
http://www.jdownloads.net/documentations/item/how-to-upgrade-jdownloads-component-from-1-9-x-to-latest-3-x-version?category_id=40

A lot of fun  ;)

Ps: I hope JD 1.9.2 for Joomla 3.2 will work for a short export with joomla 3.3.6 - so i don't need top install joomla 3.2 also...
  •  

ColinM

Hi Nyx
the update from jD1.9.2 works for the latest version of Joomla 3.x
Colin M
  •