News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

filescalculation is misleading

Started by carin, 24.06.2014 01:57:32

Previous topic - Next topic

carin

reproduce:
* front end
* go to a category with no files but subcategories with files

expected:
* the number of all files including those in subcategories is displayed

current:
* "files : 0" is displayed because only files in the current top category are considered in the calculation which makes the user leave the page because of course he assumes there is nothing to download which is utterly confusing because in fact there are files
Joomla 3.2 | jD 3.2 | PHP 5.3 | Apache 2
  •  

ColinM

Hi Carin
Like you I find this misleading. It would be good to have a line like "5 files in 7 categories".  It is however a lot of work and means tracing down the entire 'tree' each time so it would slow response especially on sites with a large number of downloads.  So that would probably mean having another config option to make it optional.  Alternatively maybe an interactive "properties" button or 'right click' option as one has in Microsoft Explorer to find number of files and folders would be a good facility.

At the present time however it is obviously best to get j32 and j25 series stable.  I would not class this as a bug but as a desirable enhancement. When Component stable then to think about more improvements.  So I think it is better to move this topic to Suggestions rather than keep it on the 'bug list'.

Colin
Colin M
  •