News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Problems with 3.2.6 - fields disappearing, search not working properly ...

Started by damird, 07.06.2014 00:54:21

Previous topic - Next topic

damird

Hello.

I successfully upgraded my test environment from jDownloads 1.9.2.10_beta to 3.2.6_beta. Unfortunately, the current version of jDownloads seems far from being usable even for intranet use only.

Let me first give a bit of background - I'm looking for following functionality:

• Upload of files in multiple categories.
  • ACL -> certain files should be visible only to registered users, other should be visible both to anonymous and registered users - ideally the ACL should be per-file basis instead of per-directory only.
  • A non Joomla Super-User should be able to publish uploaded files.
  • A document should allow a custom field to be defined on upload time -> e.g. a select list of 'document category'.
  • Search should allow selecting which field should be searched for the given keyword (e.g. Title, Description, Author, Custom filed 1, etc.

All mentioned features are some how implemented in jDownloads 3.2.6_beta, but I can't get it into a working state. On the other hand the biggest flaw of the 1.9.2.10_beta in my case is it doesn't support ACL-s (from above bullets 3 and 2).

Problems I'm experiencing with 3.2:

• When uploading a new file, the fields labels disappear if scrolling them over with a mouse cursor.
  • The upload page has a tons of fields I would like to hide to not confuse the user.
  • Mouse copy/paste doesn't work in the description fields.
  • I can't get the search working so that I can select which field it search in; I noticed the mentioned functionality works on jdownloads.com web portal - any hint how to set it up with 3.2 or what should I use?

Basically I'm wondering if any of mentioned problems is a configuration issue?

Is there a road map when above mentioned problems will be solved?

Do you know of any other component like jDownloads that would suffice my needs? << the component doesn't need to be free; if it isn't, it should be of reasonable price.

Thanks you in advance,
Damir
  •  

ColinM

Hi
I will try to explain a bit - and yes there are still some bugs- it is still a beta version! :(  But they are being squashed :)
As you say all the features you are looking for are in jDownloads.

Issue 1
QuoteWhen uploading a new file, the fields labels disappear if scrolling them over with a mouse cursor.
Have not experienced that problem, could you perhaps give me some more clues where it happens.  Also which intranet 'host' are you using?  I presently use Wamp.

Issue 2
QuoteThe upload page has a tons of fields I would like to hide to not confuse the user.
The basic facility is embedded in User Group Settings, specifically the Group Creation/Editing Settings part.  There are a large number of settings, all cusomisable by user group. But this is a known bug.  It has been reported in many guises.  Fix is coming very soon.

Issue  3
QuoteMouse copy/paste doesn't work in the description fields.
Seems to work OK for me.  Are you using Ctrl-c Ctrl-v and so on?
Which Editor are you using on you site? I use JCE as it has a 'Word/ Libre Office' filter.  Trying to copy from a word processor directly is a 'challenge', not just for jDownloads but everywhere.  There is a jDownloads configuration setting (Configuration - Backend tab) to specify whether to use plain text or your default site Editor.

Issue 4
QuoteSearch should allow selecting which field should be searched for the given keyword (e.g. Title, Description, Author, Custom filed 1, etc.
The Search facility looks at various jDownload fields, including the Short Description and optionally the long description. Please see attached picture. It probably does need a bit more formatting work.  Personally I am not too familiar with the Search facility but I understand that it can be combined with other Joomla search extensions to create a more selective search.  Will look into further so I can write some notes.

Basically there are no other 'download' facilities with the flexibility of jDownloads.  The road map is ASAP! But step by step as things are found.  Personally the one most annoying to me is your issue 2

Colin

Colin M
  •  

Arno

@ damir,
the new releases 2.5/3.2 are not simple new versions from an existing older version.
This releases are complete new written. So it is normally that in a first beta version works not all properly.

When you need a more bug free version, you should wait until we have a 'stable' version (or at minimum a first 'release candidat').

I will now only answer on your last posted problem:
QuoteSearch should allow selecting which field should be searched for the given keyword (e.g. Title, Description, Author, Custom filed 1, etc.
It exist two possibilities:
- you mean (use) the search plugin which is used by the Joomla search module
 This is a very simple search function and is not really a good choice.
- you mean the internal search function in jDownloads
 This is a more flexible search function with better results. For this is in jDownloads used a modified (and a little bit enhanced) version from the Joomla search core function. Create a new jD menu link for the 'search' and you will seen a little bit more options. But it is not possible to create in the frontend an extra options field for EVERY database field. So the search uses the most important fields. When it exist not a extra menu item for the jD search, it is searched as default in all this fields. (See also the pics).

By the way, the next beta version with the next bug fixes will be published in a few days (i hope at latest next wednesday).

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

damird

Thank you for the great work you're doing and all the help you're providing.
I'll try the hints you gave me tomorrow.

Here are the answers to above questions:
> right mouse copy/paste not working
The default editor on my Joomla installation is JCE. Using the WYSIWYG editor for description of newly added files, produces the following error pop-up:
----
Currently not supported by your browser, use keyboard shortcuts instead.
----

Please see the picture attached jdownloads-copy_not_allowed.png.

Doing copy/paste using a mouse with TinyMCE editor doesn't work either. The mentioned editor displays an Edit menu; there in you can find Copy and Paste functionality; however, when pressed, I get an error my browser doesn't allow access to the clipboard and I should use keyboard shortcuts.

I can confirm the keyboard shortcuts work and I'm using them. The problem is my users ... hmmm ... let's put it this way - they refuses to use the keyboard shortcuts for no particular reason out of habits :(

> fields labels disapearing on mouse-over
Please see the attached pictures jdownloads-disappearing_labels-before.png to see the form before I did a mouse over Alias and Version fields; the jdownloads-disappearing_labels-after.png shows what happens afterwards.

I'm using the latest version of Chrome browser on Windows 8.1; the server is running on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Here are the packages versions:
----
ii  apache2                             2.4.7-1ubuntu4                amd64        Apache HTTP Server
ii  mysql-server-5.5                    5.5.35+dfsg-1ubuntu1          amd64        MySQL database server binaries and system database setup
ii  php5                                5.5.9+dfsg-1ubuntu3           all          server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language (metapackage)
----

The Joomla! version is:
----
Joomla! 3.3.0 Stable [ Ember ] 30-April-2014 14:00 GMT
----

Thanks,
Damir Dezeljin

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
  •  

Arno

QuoteCurrently not supported by your browser, use keyboard shortcuts instead.
Please note that this has nothing to do with jDownloads. This is a browser issue.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

ColinM

@damird
Disappearing on mouse over. ???  Presently I do not have access to a Windows 8 but I doubt if that is the problem. 

This may be a CSS problem of some sort where there is a change not reflected in the  'hover' state.  Could you tell me what joomla template you are using please.

In order to test would it be possible for you send a Private Message to me with your site details (only need front end at this time) and a suitable login to enable me to create a download - also please let me know menu location.

Colin
Colin M
  •  

ColinM

@damird
Thanks for login stuff.  Have looked and seen problem.  It is a CSS challenge,  a template one. :(  But it can be solved with one extra line of css in jDownloads :)

The problem occurs as you say when the mouse leaves the label field.  For instance the tool tip will show and the label is still shown.  One can move the mouse about in the label field, have to be careful, and it stays there showing the tool-tip. When the mouse moves out of the field the tool tip disappears and in your case the label also disappears  :o  What is happening is that the template is causing an inline style of "display: none;" to be attached to the field. This overrides the preceding display:block; css.  It is possibly something to do with responsiveness but I have not looked further

The cure is to add a css line display: block !important; line to jDownloads jdownloads_fe.css class .forme1m label  so that it reads as below

.formelm label {
    width: 11em;
    float: left;
    display: block !important;
}

You can do this yourself in jDownloads Admin by going to Control Panel - Layouts CSS  look for the code .formelm label {  - its around line 585 so near the bottom.
and then adding in the line display: block !important;

I will advise Arno that this should go in the released css - but I doubt it will make the next beta release as he is planning on doing that today!!

Colin
Colin M
  •