News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

How does Joomla compare to Wordpress?

Started by andyscraven, 09.05.2012 21:41:55

Previous topic - Next topic

andyscraven

Hi

I use Wordpress a lot.

Recently I have started using Multisite, which is great.

I have a client though that wants to use something else.

I am looking at others, Drupal for instance.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Andy
Andy Craven is a web developer who designs all kinds of different sites.  You can check out his latest site on Carp Fishing Tips, where he provides unbiased tips and knowledge about fishing.
  •  

Angela Colley

Quote from: andyscraven on 09.05.2012 21:41:55
Hi

I use Wordpress a lot.

Recently I have started using Multisite, which is great.

I have a client though that wants to use something else.

I am looking at others, Drupal for instance.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Andy

I?ve used both for years. I really like how I can login to WP and see which plugins need to be updated. Click a button and I am good to go. Maintaining my Joomla sites was always the tough part. I found myself always taking it down to update a MOD/plugin/COMponent. Even with the latest Joomla with the builtin installer, it isn?t as smooth as WordPress.

Here are few points you need to look into?
1. How smooth/easy is it to update the core part of the CMS and its many third party extensions.
2. When something is removed, how ?clean is the install?. i.e. You can pretty much through away an app on the Mac away and know that your system is pretty clean. Whereas install an app on Windows, and you have 100s of little files everywhere. There are utilities for both to help remove 100% of left over files? alas?. Anyways, in the CMSs I have used, this always seems a week point. You install stuff over the years, remove it, update it? and over time, you?ll need to do a complete refresh as junk builds up? sometimes causing stuff to go bad.
3. How efficient is the database schema. Some CMS I have used make their databases bloat so quickly. For example, add a custom field to a post and ALL posts have that custom field attached, where they use it or not. Your DB balloons!
4. How ?standards compliant? is the ?core output? I don?t know if it is still an issue on Joomla, etc, but I recall that you could get a nice XHTML template but some of the html the CMS itself spits out was very 80s. You?ll go crazy trying to get it to be compliant.

It would be good to compare:
Joomla, Drupal, WordPress AND Expression Engine.
100s of CMS out there, but to me, these are the ones that now count. (Sorry to users of other CMSs.) It would be very excellent to choose a topic, for example, ?A Real Estate site? Have examples of how you would use all four to make such a site. In reading that, people would walk away with ?Oh, that one is powerful? oh that one takes too many steps to do that? oh, that one would need some serious extra plugins, etc?
  •  

james7565

I have always built my websites with Wordpress and although i have heard of Joomla i have never got round to using it. It is reminds me of that i have always used a conventional laptop and heard of Mac laptops but never got round to purchasing one that is until i took the plunge and purchased a Mac and have to say i have never looked back. So i was wondering would this be the same reasoning for choosing a Joomla platform over a Wordpress platform.
  •  

joeharts

Quote from: Angela Colley on 13.07.2012 14:38:15

I?ve used both for years. I really like how I can login to WP and see which plugins need to be updated. Click a button and I am good to go. Maintaining my Joomla sites was always the tough part. I found myself always taking it down to update a MOD/plugin/COMponent. Even with the latest Joomla with the builtin installer, it isn?t as smooth as WordPress.

Here are few points you need to look into?
1. How smooth/easy is it to update the core part of the CMS and its many third party extensions.
2. When something is removed, how ?clean is the install?. i.e. You can pretty much through away an app on the Mac away and know that your system is pretty clean. Whereas install an app on Windows, and you have 100s of little files everywhere. There are utilities for both to help remove 100% of left over files? alas?. Anyways, in the CMSs I have used, this always seems a week point. You install stuff over the years, remove it, update it? and over time, you?ll need to do a complete refresh as junk builds up? sometimes causing stuff to go bad.
3. How efficient is the database schema. Some CMS I have used make their databases bloat so quickly. For example, add a custom field to a post and ALL posts have that custom field attached, where they use it or not. Your DB balloons!
4. How ?standards compliant? is the ?core output? I don?t know if it is still an issue on Joomla, etc, but I recall that you could get a nice XHTML template but some of the html the CMS itself spits out was very 80s. You?ll go crazy trying to get it to be compliant.

It would be good to compare:
Joomla, Drupal, WordPress AND Expression Engine.
100s of CMS out there, but to me, these are the ones that now count. (Sorry to users of other CMSs.) It would be very excellent to choose a topic, for example, ?A Real Estate site? Have examples of how you would use all four to make such a site. In reading that, people would walk away with ?Oh, that one is powerful? oh that one takes too many steps to do that? oh, that one would need some serious extra plugins, etc?

So you are trying to say that Wordpress is still better than Joomla right?
  •  

zigzag007

•  

devans22

I also have a new client that is currently running on the Joomla platform. I have always
used WP and am very comfortable with it. I started researching a little about Joomla and
am not getting very good information. Ive even read where some big news sites like over
1 million unique visitors daily have  switched to the WP platform for it's ease of use and
great support. I hoping I can convince the new client to let me make the switch which then
will create a new topic how to easily switch from Joomla to WP.

thanks
Dan
  •  

haddleas

I myself prefer WP. But joomla has it own advantages. RIght now Im doing multi-sites so Im sticking with WP. It's great and easy to use.
  •  

bobbysmooth

I'm just starting to use multi site with wordpress. Not my favourite thing in the world to mess about with tbh, I prefer to actually write content for the sites than mess around with backend setting up the domains etc.

I just Joomla aswell and I think its a lot like the pc mac argument someone mentioned above. It'll rage on forever with some on one side and some on the other, but its all personal choice at the end of it and what you want to use it for. My suggestion would be try them both and stick with the one you prefer, solves everyones issue.

brendamarville

Bascially Wordpress is originally used for blogging, and Joomla is for all around CMS system, but the development of Wordpress from blog into flexible CMS(through plugins) makes it so popular. If you have the freedom to choose your CMS, you must look into the purpose. If the website is more into blogging/news/articles system, then use Wordpress, if you are just managing few pages and more into in-box flexibility of the CMS, then go for Jooma. Wordpress is quite buggy sometimes if you will use it for other purpose, like membership system, store etc. Wordpress is also quite vulnerable to some virus if you left it unsecured.

Let us sum it this way,

Wordpress - Blogging
Joomla - Content Management
Drupal - Memberships
Magento - Store

Of course, you can use the CMS in other way you like as long as you have the expertise to modify it, but if you will use them in their main purpose, then you will get less bug and issues.

•  

leed1977

I think WordPress works better than Joomla. Much better..
  •  

andyscraven

Hi Everyone,

Some great replies to my question, thank you.

Since my post I have started using ManageWP, which is awesome.

Just one log in to ALL my WP sites and it tells me which of them needs updating, be it Wordpress, Plugins, Database, Spam etc.

It also monitors my sites for up time and emails me when they are down, and I can monitor my SEO with it too.

Just a great piece of software.

Andy
Andy Craven is a web developer who designs all kinds of different sites.  You can check out his latest site on Carp Fishing Tips, where he provides unbiased tips and knowledge about fishing.
  •  

thebusinessontheinternet

Both are very popular blog platforms.I use so far wordpress only.
  •  

litefoot2008

I think WordPress works better than Joomla. Much better..  ;D
  •  

Arno

I think, you can not really compare this two systems.
You can use joomla with his many thousands extensions for (nearly) all situations.  ::)
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •