News:

Dear forum visitors, if the support forum is not available, please try again a few minutes later. Thanks!

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Menu with multiple categories, more than one?

Started by ibrahim, 29.04.2021 18:22:33

Previous topic - Next topic

ibrahim

Hello! How to add more than one category for a single menu.
This can help to remake the start page instead of modules. So if there a solution please help?
  •  

Tazzios

Place them together in a category and choose that category for the menu?

ibrahim

Dear Tazzios! Thanks for the replay, but no this is not a good solution, we have many categories with over 2000 item, in your way that means duplicate our items and that can't is done. Users when they download any item they will belong to download updates and showing his already downloaded.
Duplicating items on our site that not a good idea.

the solution is if jDownload can create a single menu with multilabel categories, or an option to assign an item to more than one category. Both jDownloads doesn't have. I have asked Arno and Colin to make a solution to assign items to more than one category.

For example, after installing the articles categories field will let you choose more than one. See attached GIF
https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/cw-multicategories/

I hope to hear a solution from Arno and Colin, they have developed jDownloads so they know better than me!
  •  

ColinM

Ibrahim,
Just as a recap a Download consists of three sets of information:

• a Downloadable file
  • database entries such as the title of the Download, its description, which category, a link to the downloadable file and other items.
  • preview images, audio or video
The largest part of a Download  is usually the downloadable file.With the 3.9 series jD does recognise that the same downloadable file may be required in more than one category which is what you want :)
When you are creating a Download you can choose to use an a downloadable file from another Download.  This applies in both the backend and front end.However a better way is to use the Batch facility in the Backend.  This allows you to copy a Download to another existing category but referencing the downloadable file from its original location.  It even copies things like the description, tags and so on. 

You can separately copy Categories (that does not include the Downloads) but I would advise against that as it might not turn out as you expect!!

Please see articlehttps://www.jdownloads.net/documentation-for-v3-9/general-items-v3-9/batch-processing particularly section 7 about the copying Categories or Downloads.  You can copy multiple Downloads from one category to another.
Colin
Colin M
  •  

ibrahim

Dear Colin, Thanks for the reply! I have tried to make a patch but always getting an error for any item as:
Error An error has occurred. 1062 Duplicate entry '1678' for key 'PRIMARY'

See please attached:
screenshot + screencast

Here things that need some attention and help in indeed as it's ower first high priority:
1. Truncate the item descriptions when showing all downloads, as you know about that. It will help to make it the front page instead of the modules.
2. Possibility to use multiple categories on a single menu.
3. Assign an item to select more than one category.

Here wishing to get add/changes for future patch/updates:
4. Not happy at all with today modules, as used on the front page. I wish them to be more improved!
5. Also,, missing a random module.
6. Related items do not work as saying related items. it's not showing the correct items when we say related, it needs to improved take an example like VirtueMart.

I love jDownloads and used now since its starts, there are over 2000+ item on our site and will be a big work for us to move to other extensions but am still in love with jDownloads and wishing to have more advanced especially when we speak about a design layout for both extensions and the module.

SO Please Help Us! from begging I have chosen with a trust jDownlods and do be using it for years since the day I started with.

Thanks in advance, and wishing to hear the solutions as soon as possible.
  •  

ColinM

Hi
You wrote
Quote3. Assign an item to select more than one category.
I have aready told you how to do this in jD.  Use the Batch approach.  Arno is working on V4 so there is no chance of any other way.  It does what you want in a different way.  Whichever way one does these things there is always work involved in using it!!

Have you tried it  - easy when you do it :) Created the extra catgories first then populate them.  But is it a language aspect?

QuotePossibility to use multiple categories on a single menu.
I do not sure I fully understand what you mean or why you would need it.
QuoteTruncate the item descriptions when showing all downloads, as you know about that. It will help to make it the front page instead of the modules.
I will look into this if possible but I am trying to get 3.9.8 ready.
As part of 3.9.8 most of the modules have been re-written, mainly to meet WCAG requirements but I have also introduced a module css.  They also use a div structure rather than a table structure so that gives added flexibility.  Thetree module has not changed.Have you considered using that as it shows the category structure very well.
I have been looking at a random module but ran out of time
Disagree with you about the Related module.  It offer two types of relationships
Colin
Colin M
  •  

ibrahim

Quote from: ColinM on 03.05.2021 23:45:05
Have you tried it  - easy when you do it :) Created the extra catgories first then populate them.  But is it a language aspect?
  I do not sure I fully understand what you mean or why you would need it.I will look into this if possible but I am trying to get 3.9.8 ready.

Hi Colin! Thanks for trying to help.
I have done the same as you said but getting an error. Please see screenshots
Also, have installed jDownloads again but still getting error.

Another batch operation is still in progress. Please try it later again or use the function to reset the lock (see TOOLS).

UNLOCK the 'Batch' Switch
Then getting: An error has occurred. 1062 Duplicate entry '1881' for key 'PRIMARY'
  •  

ColinM

Hmm! Strange. 
How many files were you trying to 'copy'.
Sounds as if you have run out of PHP time Colin
Colin M
  •  

ibrahim

Hello, I tried to batch one file up to 25 files, always the same problem. I have from Tolls - Install Example Data. That sample files it work when making a patch.
In my case, I need to add or assign items on more than one category to make the front page using a jDownloads layout. Also, if you make a menu as a single category with multiple subfolders, it will show just the categories folders without the items located in subfolders.
Usings the modules on the Frontpage never been good CSS styling as showcase modules! am stack about the front page, also modules slow the site.
  •  

Arno

Hi,
could be a bug in the 'batch' operation. I will try to check it out.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

Arno

Hi Ibrahim,
okay I have tested the batch functionality like you have use it. See video.
I could not see any problems. Tested with 50 Downloads from different sub categories and with the same option as you did it.
The process has need maybe 5 seconds at all - but tested only locally.

I think that your jDownloads database tabled could be maybe incorrect.  ::)

By the way, I remember that you had changed here something manually to a prior point. Never a good idea.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

ibrahim

Dear Arno, I will PM you the site information as Superadmin, FTP, and database. So please give it a try am stack on this error.
I tested already on local and on the server. Am really appreciate your help.
  •