News:

Dear forum visitors, if the support forum is not available, please try again a few minutes later. Thanks!

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Download possible as Public

Started by LarchfieldLoz, 28.03.2021 16:16:18

Previous topic - Next topic

LarchfieldLoz

Hi
- Myself and a friend are new to jDowloads and started using it a few weeks ago to allow members of an organistaion to download past isses of magazines etc. We are currently using Firedrive but wanted more versatility. jDownlods looked ideal. We built all the content up but what we find it that anyone can download, not just the Registered users. We've been through the permissions time and time and time again, and the fact that Registered users can only download in Firedrive indicated to us that Joomla permissions must be correct. jDownloads permissions are inherrited and Public, and  indicates Inherrited (Not Allowed) but still the public can download! the only way to stop public download is to put Denied into the Public Download setting - but of corse that prohibits everyone under Public as well. We're missing something obvious but after 3 or 4 days looking at this we feel we're in  a big hole and can't get out :-( Suggestions please - Thank, Laurence
  •  

Arno

Hi,
the permission rules in Joomla are not easy to use. But in our documentation will you find some examples to use it right in jDownloads.
Have you read (and tried) the instructions?
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

LarchfieldLoz

Hi Arno - indeed we've been through examples, several times by both of us. We've been through and used 'A Simple Restricted Access Download Scheme' in one of your 3.3 Articles. The impass we keep coming back to is that in the jDownload Permissions for Public in Options we have the Calculated Setting showing Not Allowed (Inherited)  yet the public can still download without logging in as a Registered user. Thats the bit that does not make sence! The only way we can stop public access it the change that to Not Allowed, which doesn't help further down the hiererchy. I'm sure we're either missing something somewhere else, or something obscure has happenend. Laurence
  •  

ColinM

HiI missed your query initially but I have helped many users to overcome the Joomla! permission mater. Arno has asked me to look at the challenge.
What you want to do is definitely possible.
Think that the cause is in the Global or Component permissions where jD sets Download permission for the public user Group. This will propogate through all your categories and Downloads.  People also think that the Super User is the 'king' but in fact it is the Public UG which is the base of all the inherited perrmissions.Another possibility if you have youw own UG is not setting the ranking value in the jD User group settings.

You are quite right that settin the Deny permission is to be avoided.I will send you a PM (Private Message)
Colin
Colin M
  •