News:

Dear forum visitors, if the support forum is not available, please try again a few minutes later. Thanks!

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Access to multiple groups per category

Started by zadazdaz, 23.11.2020 20:12:30

Previous topic - Next topic

zadazdaz

Hello. :)

I'm currently using Dropfiles component and migrating to jDownloads.

But I'm currently facing one major issue I didn't plan; in Dropfiles, I could manage access per folder (category) to multiple Joomla Groups, but on jDownloads, all that i can find is Access levels.

Dropfiles menu:

In Dropfiles, i can set a Folder to be accessed by Group 1 and Group 3, while another Folder can be accessed by groups 1,2,3 and 4.
This offers a great granularity so you manage groups per folder where one single folder (category) can have several groups and then remove or add single groups with ease on each folder or sub-folder.

But in jDownloads, one a folder is assigned to one, and only one, Access Level, only groups on that Access Level can access that folder (category). I can't have a group outside that Access Level accessing that folder so my only option is making that group belong to that Access Level, but then that group will access things that it shouldn't...  :( :o

Did I miss something or I don't have any choice here? ???

Thanks.
  •  

ColinM

Hi

Yes youi missed something!
It is User Groups permissions that sort out who can dowload (or create, or edit and so on).  The Access Level  controls who can see something.  The access level can have multiple user groups.
In jDownloads the user group settings give much scope but ensure the Ranking level is high.
There is a lot of documentation see
https://www.jdownloads.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=32
If you need more herlp please let me know
Colin
Colin M
  •  

zadazdaz

Hi Colin, indeed that helps.  :D

But users can still see the documents, even if they can't download them.

Is it possible to set (even in the code) an "if" rule to say "if i can't download it i can't see it either", for both files or folders?

Thanks again  ;)
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Yes you can stop users seeing them by using the Access level  This controls which User Group can see the categories and Downloads.  In my examples I usually have 2 top level categories, one called Public with Public access level and another one called Logged On with a Registered Access level.
Colin
Colin M
  •  

zadazdaz

Hi Collin, thanks for your time.

I've made some tests and I just can't figure out how i can accomplish this:

Cat1
|-SubCat1
|-SubCat2
|--SubCat3
Cat2
|-SubCat4
|--SubCat5

Groups A, B, C and D.

- Group A can SEE and DOWNLOAD SubCat2 (and also SubCat3 as inherited) and also SubCat5
- Group B can SEE and DOWNLOAD the whole Cat1
- Group B can SEE and DOWNLOAD the whole Cat1 and SubCat 5
- Group A can SEE and DOWNLOAD SubCat1 and also SubCat4

In Dropfiles, i just need to give these groups access to those folders, but in jDownloads, i'm lost between User Groups Settings and Access Levels...  :( :-[
  •  

zadazdaz

Also, when i change the Setting inside any category, on the Permissions tab, in the front i can still see the category, but with a message:

QuoteOnly registered and logged in users can download files from this category.

What I expected was that with that setting (Denied) category would not be visible.

•  

ColinM

Hi
Never never use Deny permission!!!  It has many unintended consequences.   The Public Group is actually the root, not Super User!
I will send you a PM (Private Message)
Colin
Colin M
  •  

zadazdaz

Ok i got it, but i still can't figure it out how all this work...
Take this example:

- Folder A
-- Folder Aa
--- Folder Aaa
--- Folder Aab
-- Folder Ab

How can i have some groups accessing Folder Aa and others Folder Ab?

If i set:

- Folder A / Access Level: ZERO
-- Folder Aa / Access Level: ONE
--- Folder Aaa / Access Level: ONE
--- Folder Aab / Access Level: ONE
-- Folder Ab / Access Level: TWO

In the frontend:
- user belonging to ONE and TWO see nothing, because FOLDER A has level ZERO
- user belonging to ONE or TWO see nothing, because FOLDER A has level ZERO
- user belonging to ONE see nothing, because FOLDER A has level ZERO
- user belonging to TWO see nothing, because FOLDER A has level ZERO

What a mess...  :-\
  •  

ColinM

HiPlease note that jDownloads fully implements the Joomla Accsees (ability to view an item) and the permissions (ability to do something to the item such as edit, Download or similar).  Normaly permissions and access properties of an item are inherited from  the parent item.  In this context the 'items are the categories and the Downloads.
In order to 'see' a Download then it is necessary to go down through the categories.  If one category in the chain does not permit access then nothing below that can be 'seen'.
It is not a mess, it is very logical. But it is sometimes challenging to see how it works.  The permission and access atributes belong to the items.  So recast from that approach rather than from a user perspective..
Colin
Colin M
  •  

zadazdaz

Hi Collin, thanks.

Is someone available to provide (paid) support on this?
Skype session with shared screen.

I really need to understand how this works an implement it correctly.  :-\

Please email me at 'managedstack' at 'free.fr' ASAP if this is an option.

Thanks.
  •  

ColinM

Hi
The situation you have indicated above is, on detailed analysis, an interesting one.  It is one of the very few occaisions where the use of Deny is needed. 

That to me indicates a poor structure. 

So I ask what is the purpose of Folder A?  Putting folders Aa and Ab as top level folders achieves the objective well and is simple.
The AA uisers never see folder Ab and vica versa.
Colin
Colin M
  •  

zadazdaz

Well, our folders structure has 5 main folders.
3 of these will be "public" (any registerd user can access all it's contents' and the other 2 they has Many subfolders.

Take this example for these 2 folders:

- Movies
|- 80s
|-- January
|--- Sean Connery
|--- Matt Damon
|-- February
|- 90s
|- 00s
- Series
|- Hello
|-- Season 1
|-- Season 2
|-- Season 3
|- How are you
|-- Season 1
|-- Season 2
|-- Season 3
|- I'm fin thanks`
|-- Season 1
|-- Season 2
|-- Season 3

Basically, i must have:
- A group that can access ALL Movies,
- Another group that will access ALL Movies and ALL Series,
- Another group that will access only ALL Series, but only Season 1 of all of them,
- Another group that will access the first two Series (Hello and How are You),
- Another group that will access Hello and Movies > 80s only.

Etc.
  •