News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Upgrade from 3.2.69 to 3.9.5

Started by Tom68, 18.09.2020 21:53:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom68

Dear All,

I am running Joomla!3.9.21 and would like to upgrade from jDownloads 3.2.69 to 3.9.5. However, I am confused by the information that I read concerning the upgrade procedure. There is a web page https://www.jdownloads.net/documentation-for-v3-9/getting-started-v3-9/upgrading-from-jdownloads-3-2-to-3-9 dated 28 April 2020, which states that I first have to update to 3.2.70, but there does not seem to be a version 3.2.70 to update to. Moreover, there are quite a number of posts in this forum related to upgrade problems.

So, is it OK and generally safe to upgrade from 3.2.69 directly to 3.9.5 or is it recommended to wait a bit longer for a new 3.9.x release of jDownloads?
Is there a web page or forum post with current upgrade instructions?

Thanks & Regards
Tom
  •  

ColinM

Hi Tom

There was a database issue with earlier versions of jD3.9 but 3.9.5 is ok provided you have MySQL at 5.7 or higher - Iif you have a MariaDb then 10.2 and above is ok.  As a very quick solution to avoid users getting into trouble with the database issue the install checked for 3.2.70 which does not exist.  This is now removed but I had forgotten to update the documentation - also now done -Thankyou for pointing this out
The install process checke for compomnent overide and that your MySQL level is ok.
The database bug did not show up in all the pre-release testing!
Best wishesColin
Colin M
  •  

Tom68

Thanks Colin

I found a note on the database requirements in one of the posts, yesterday. So, I decided to migrate from MySQL 5.5 to MySQL 5.7, which was an interesting experience (have never done it before). My website still looks good and seems to function properly, so I probably did a good job. I had already upgraded PHP to 7.3 earlier, so I think my website is now ready for the jDownloads upgrade.

Any concerns, if I use the update method rather than the install method to do the upgrade?

Regards
Tom
  •  

ColinM

Tom
Yes you did a 'goodness' with MySQL and PHP.
Personally I always use the Install method - guess I will have to do a test or two with the Update method.  Think it should work and I believe Arno has used it.
The Install does handle it as an Update anyway.

Colin
Colin M
  •  

Icom

Hi! I just updated to 3.9.5 All is well, except for one thing, I added a download from backend, and when I click on it from FrontEnd, I have an joomla error: Unknown column 'file_id' in 'field list'
. How to fix it? It's only for new downloads, other (before update) works fine.
  •  

Arno

Hi,
the db field 'file_id' does not exist anymore in the new version. So this message can only be the result from:
- a third-party extension which supported the older jDownloads series 3.2.x
- prior changed output files via Joomla override function

Please check this.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

Icom

helps to switch off Jcomments ... pity
  •  

Arno

Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

Icom

I found where is a problem was with Jcomments
components/com_jcomments/plugins/com_jdownloads.plugin.php

must be:
$query = "SELECT id as id, title as title, submitted_by as owner, catid"
. " FROM #__jdownloads_files"
. " WHERE id = " . $id;

Arno, Thanks for help!
  •  

Arno

Hi Icom,
therefore the hint on the updated version in our download area.  ;)
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
  •