News:

Dear forum visitors, if the support forum is not available, please try again a few minutes later. Thanks!

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Upgrade from 3.2.69 to 3.9.5

Started by Tom68, 18.09.2020 21:53:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom68

Dear All,

I am running Joomla!3.9.21 and would like to upgrade from jDownloads 3.2.69 to 3.9.5. However, I am confused by the information that I read concerning the upgrade procedure. There is a web page https://www.jdownloads.net/documentation-for-v3-9/getting-started-v3-9/upgrading-from-jdownloads-3-2-to-3-9 dated 28 April 2020, which states that I first have to update to 3.2.70, but there does not seem to be a version 3.2.70 to update to. Moreover, there are quite a number of posts in this forum related to upgrade problems.

So, is it OK and generally safe to upgrade from 3.2.69 directly to 3.9.5 or is it recommended to wait a bit longer for a new 3.9.x release of jDownloads?
Is there a web page or forum post with current upgrade instructions?

Thanks & Regards
Tom
  •  

ColinM

Hi Tom

There was a database issue with earlier versions of jD3.9 but 3.9.5 is ok provided you have MySQL at 5.7 or higher - Iif you have a MariaDb then 10.2 and above is ok.  As a very quick solution to avoid users getting into trouble with the database issue the install checked for 3.2.70 which does not exist.  This is now removed but I had forgotten to update the documentation - also now done -Thankyou for pointing this out
The install process checke for compomnent overide and that your MySQL level is ok.
The database bug did not show up in all the pre-release testing!
Best wishesColin
Colin M
  •  

Tom68

Thanks Colin

I found a note on the database requirements in one of the posts, yesterday. So, I decided to migrate from MySQL 5.5 to MySQL 5.7, which was an interesting experience (have never done it before). My website still looks good and seems to function properly, so I probably did a good job. I had already upgraded PHP to 7.3 earlier, so I think my website is now ready for the jDownloads upgrade.

Any concerns, if I use the update method rather than the install method to do the upgrade?

Regards
Tom
  •  

ColinM

Tom
Yes you did a 'goodness' with MySQL and PHP.
Personally I always use the Install method - guess I will have to do a test or two with the Update method.  Think it should work and I believe Arno has used it.
The Install does handle it as an Update anyway.

Colin
Colin M
  •  

Icom

Hi! I just updated to 3.9.5 All is well, except for one thing, I added a download from backend, and when I click on it from FrontEnd, I have an joomla error: Unknown column 'file_id' in 'field list'
. How to fix it? It's only for new downloads, other (before update) works fine.
  •  

Arno

Hi,
the db field 'file_id' does not exist anymore in the new version. So this message can only be the result from:
- a third-party extension which supported the older jDownloads series 3.2.x
- prior changed output files via Joomla override function

Please check this.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

Icom

helps to switch off Jcomments ... pity
  •  

Arno

Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

Icom

I found where is a problem was with Jcomments
components/com_jcomments/plugins/com_jdownloads.plugin.php

must be:
$query = "SELECT id as id, title as title, submitted_by as owner, catid"
. " FROM #__jdownloads_files"
. " WHERE id = " . $id;

Arno, Thanks for help!
  •  

Arno

Hi Icom,
therefore the hint on the updated version in our download area.  ;)
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
  •