News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Author user cannot download files

Started by antonios, 22.03.2020 19:23:54

Previous topic - Next topic

antonios

Hi
I just realized that users of my website who are registered  as authors, cannot download files stored through Jdownloads.
The message that they get, when accessing the section where the file is actually stored from the front-end: "No authorized access to download"
I tried to download other files, and I get the same message. Which may mean that there is something wrong with the permissions at a global level. As I said the user is registered as Author, which is a subcategory of Registered, so it should inherit the Registered privileges. I made sure that the Registered user has the download property set to true (all others are set to 'Non Allowed'). The files are all 'public'
What can be wrong? Is it possible that some other properties need to be se to 'Allowed' for the downloading to also work?
Regards
  •  

ColinM

Hi

Have you used Deny permission anywhere?  I can cause the most unexpected effects.
Did you look at the Permissions in a particular Download that refused to be Downloaded.Also have you checked the permissions set in the relevant top level Category?
Actually I cannot find the message  No authorized access to download in any of the language files. The nearest was  COM_JDOWNLOADS_ANTILEECH_MSG="Unauthorized access to Downloads."

Colin
PS have sent you a PM
Colin M
  •  

antonios

Hi Colin, thanks for your reply. I think I mistranslated the error message and the actual message in English would the one that you mention. Also I could not find any place where a permission is DENIED. All the categories inside JDownloads have PUBLIC access, and the problem is generalized to all stored articles. Can I have have some more guidance on what to look for?
Best regards
  •  

ColinM

Hi
It occurs to me that you maybe confusing Access and Permissions.They are different  Access allows you to see things, Permissions allow you to Do things.
In each Toplevel Category select Permissions.  Now for demo I will assume you have one set of categories that have downloads in them that public may download.  And just for simplicity I will assume that one of these top level categories is called 'Anyone'.  So in the permissions of cat 'Anyone' select the Public usergroup (UG) and set the Download permission to Allowed.  Now save. then save and close.  Repeat for all top level categories that have downloads somewhere in the chain of subcategories and susub cats etc all Downloads in them are to be allowed to be downloadable by anyone.
If you have Downloads that users must be Registered to download then in the registered UG of those top level cats set the permission to allowed, save etc
Colin
Colin M
  •  

antonios

Dear Colin thx for your reply.
I checked JD settings in my website and all categories and user permissions seem to be as you explain.
I'll attach a few screenshots so you can see. The first one shows all the categories I have. As you can see the 'Access' columns marks 'Public' in all categories.
In the second file attached I entered the category settings and, as you can see there as well the Access property is set to public, as before. If I click on the 'Set permission' button, I get the third image where the users registered as 'Authors' have the 'download' permission to Allowed.
So.. don't really understand what else might cause Author users not to be able to download anything. Also can't see any other user type having a 'Denied' permission set. I can download files by logging in as superuser, if this helps you figuring out....
  •  

ColinM

HiSo it does not look like an Access problem.
On your site is anyone allowed to Download or must they be logged in?
The Super User basically has all permissions.
Could you check on the Root permissions for jDownloads - see pic - and let me know who has Download Permission.  It maybe  no one has because for some Downloads users need to be logged in.
Colin
Colin M
  •  

antonios

Dear Colin, I checked the permissions in the superuser panel and I have 'Not allowed' for public but (as I showed) 'Allowed' for both Registered and Author. All the content require the users to be logged in. However, I changed the Public UG permission to 'Allowed' as well, just to see if it allowed downloads, and it does allow it, but now just anyone without any  registration needed, and I'd need to allow downloads only for registered users. Best regards
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Just to check that the actual permission in Public is Inherited so the Computed permission is Not Allowed (inherited)Colin
Colin M
  •  

antonios

Hi Colin
I did just try this and it is still not possible for registered users to download any document, but I set Allowed for Registered users...also I realized that sometimes, when entering the jdowload section of the fornt-end of the website I get this error message (not always though) "Notice: Undefined variable: mail_encode in components/com_jdownloads/views/category/tmpl/default.php on line 1506
" I wonder if this could be related. Regards
Edited out part of address for securityColin
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Seems strange - not had that error previously.
Is it a recent error as sometimes other extensions cause challenges.I sent you a PM

Colin
Colin M
  •