News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Multiple Categories for a Download

Started by mhoney, 03.03.2020 03:33:30

Previous topic - Next topic

mhoney

I would like to request a feature - the ability to assign multiple categories to a single download.

Here's my use case:  I have a retro website (http://commodore.software) that is a repository for old software, manuals, books, etc.  Often I find that something fits into multiple categories when classifying the  items.   Instead of uploading duplicate items, it would be nice to be able to just have something like a linux softlink.
  •  

ColinM

Hi
You can use the same downloadable file in multiple categoies.  That is a downloadable file can be linked to many Downloads and these Downloads may be in different categories.
In jD 3.2 you can only do this from the backend when creating the Download with the option 'Choose File from other Download'.In the forthcoming jD 3.9 series, presently in beta test, you can also do that from the Front End as well.
Colin
Colin M
  •  

mhoney

That is great news!  Thank you for the tip on 3.2, I will put this to use.
  •  

msabbagh627

I think that would be difficult to put it in several categories, and when a file dwscription changes, we have to change all the files that we put in different categories.
I checked EDocman and it has additional categories to be selected for a download, therefore I think it can be placed in JDownloads too. It is really needed.
  •  

ColinM

HiFirst let me describe the essence of a Download in jD terms.  A Download consists of a set of 'information' items such as the Download Title, maybe a description, links to say an audio preview file, which language, the type of file, the number of downloads and so on.  These are all stored in the database.  The other main part of a Download is, usually, a downloadable file.
So it is quite possible to have a single copy of a file and multiple Downloads in different categories each referring to the same downloadable file.
What I think you are asking for is an enhancement that things like the descriptions and other 'information' bits should also be 'common'.  That is you would like some of the 'information' parts 'duplicated' in the relevant database entries but in different categories.Have I understood you correctly?
Colin

Colin M
  •  

msabbagh627

Yes, Exactly.

Let us use the Joomla Extension Directory as an Example. It has very customized and perfect categories which some extensions are located in different categories.
Now lets say we have a website just same as the JED, but, the difference is that its not for Joomla only, it has extensions for Joomla, WordPress & Drupal. So, we are going to use the JED categories, and use WordPress, Joomla, Drupal and etc. as tags.
One Extension (or Download) may be in several categories and several tags.

In your particular method, we have to make a download copy for each file in each directory that we want. So, when an extension updates, we have to change the version in each download. if the log changes, or the description changes, we have to change it in every download, and that would be DIFFICULT.

What I am trying to say is that we have to be able to assign a download in several tags and several directories. and if anything changes in the description or other details, we should be able to change it in only one place.

Assigning a download in several categories is very common in WordPress, and it is also easy to do in EDocMan. But JDownload has not prepared such a section or ability.
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Not sure you understood what I was saying!  So let me try again. :)
That seems to fit the models you are taking about.You wrote
QuoteNow lets say we have a website just same as the JED, but, the difference is that its not for Joomla only, it has extensions for Joomla, WordPress & Drupal. So, we are going to use the JED categories, and use WordPress, Joomla, Drupal and etc. as tags.
One Extension (or Download) may be in several categories and several tags.
Now that is exactly what is possible with jDownloads.  In jD 3.2 the creation of Downloads that reference the downloadable file in another Download can only be done from the backend. But in the forthcoming jD3.9 series this can be done in the frontend as well.
That is multiple Downloads each in different categories all referring to the same actual downloadable file.  Joomla! Tags are also of course.
Further the process is simplified in the enhanced batch processing in jD3.9 where one of the copy options is 'Copy and reference the File from its original Download' to the specified category.   This is not difficult.
I did notice in the JED that all the descriptions and other info is identical for a particular Download - in fact I could not find a duplicate entry just tags leading to the same place.  It looked to me as if it was a single download but maybe I did not search enough!
What would be very interesting is that when a 'duplicate' Download is created then an additional mode is available so that it becomes what I will temporarily call a 'pseudo'  Download where the information parts actually point back to the 'reference' Download.  Thus one would only the need to update the 'reference' Download with revised info. The regular user these 'psuedo' downloads would look like regular ones.
Best wishes
Colin
Colin M
  •