News:

Dear forum visitors, if the support forum is not available, please try again a few minutes later. Thanks!

Main Menu
Support-Forum

"Error" on site after attempting download

Started by Corvette, 20.01.2020 20:17:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Corvette

After the upgrade to 3.9, while attempting to download a file or look at the file information, the site went immediately into "Error" - cleared jos_sessions, waited 5 min, came back, went away a minute later.  Unable to recover.

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
  •  

Corvette

Site is 100% down - no way to recover - this upgrade was terrible as it killed my site with over 1,400 downloads.  I'll never upgrade again...this was a terrible disaster - you should have tested this BETA before releasing it and making us test it for you...I'm pissed off man...not happy.
  •  

ColinM

Hi Corvette
I am very sorry that you have had such a disaster and I do understand your anger.

We have been testing the beta release for a considerable time over several months - the current beta release is the 5th one.
Also we do give a warning in the Download about possible problems and advise against using on a production site.  I have copied some of the notes at the bottom of this post.  It also tells you how to create a test site.  In no way since we have been beta testing have we had a complete 'wipeout'. 

Do you have a backup?  If you have access to the site by your website control panel or by FTP then you should be able to recover all the Categories (directories) and the Downloads (files).  Is there anything we can do to assist you recover?
We would appreciate if you could advise us in due course about the following items so we can possibly identify what caused this disaster.  Sorry if it sounds a bit like an interogation but we are also very concerned and distraught that this has happened.  I have personally been working on jDownloads for many years and have never known this happen previously.

When you attempted the upgrade did the problem occur on the first or second install?

Do you know if there were many active users, in particular could there have been someone editting say a Download in either the frontend or the backend?

Did you read the Upgrade documentation?

Do you have any non jD extensions that 'integrate' with jD supplied by others?

Do you use jD Custom fields?

Which version of jDownloads did you upgrade from?  The latest jD3.2 release is version 3.2.66
Not sure what else to ask at the moment but please help us get to the cause.
Very best wishesColin
  Edit: Users site is being restored using jD 3.9 and is working AOK
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Notes accompanying the release

"jDownloads 3.9 Beta for Joomla 3.9 is now available for download.  We are asking for your help to find any bugs that have so far escaped our testing.  Please help make jDownloads 3.9 as robust as possible.
You can find details of this release in the download 'details' page.  Also please note that this is a beta release and there is a risk that it still contains bugs.  So please test it on a development or staging site,  not on your live site. "
Colin M
  •  

Arno

QuoteSite is 100% down - no way to recover - this upgrade was terrible as it killed my site with over 1,400 downloads.  I'll never upgrade again...this was a terrible disaster - you should have tested this BETA before releasing it and making us test it for you...I'm pissed off man...not happy.
An jDownloads update can never 'kill' a website and delete php files or a complete database. That is impossible.

Unfortunately have we not get any detailed information about this installation result and I cannot really believe that it should be the result only from the 3.9 update.

We strongly recommended again and again to make a backup before you start an update process. More is not possible. We do our best and spend every day a lot of time for this Open Source project to make it secure and more useful. But it does not exist in the reality not any to hundred percent bug free software. That's a fact! And every user should know this.

Sad that we have not get more information in this case!  :-\ ::)
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •