News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Converting jD Custom Fields to Joomla! Fields by hand...

Started by Lena, 07.01.2020 07:55:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Lena

Hello,

I read the documentation and know that I should definitely wait with an upgrade. But I'd like to know what is coming.
The documentation suggests that I'll have to configure the "new" custom/joomla fields for each download by hand.
I have over 6000 downloads...
In the procedure of the update, is there a right moment to run a script/import directly into the database?
When will I have to export what SQL information?

Kind regards
Lena
  •  

ColinM

Lena,Are you actually using jD Custom Fields?  If not then no problem.
If Config - 'Custom Data Fields'  title entries, those on the lefthand side, are blank then you are not using jD Custom Fields.
If you are using them then you would have needed to edit one of the Files or Downloads Details Layouts - see articlehttp://www.jdownloads.net/documentation-for-jd3-2/general-items-v3-2/using-custom-fields

If you have done all of the above then the jD Custom values will appear on every Download whilst using the relevant layout. With the jD Custom Fields then the titles appear on all Downloads - this does not need to happen with Joomla! Fields.

If you are using jD3.2 Cusom Fields have you set any defaults? They are on the right hand side in the Cofig -  'Custom Data Fields'.
If yes then you can set defaults in the Joomla! Fields and they will appear in every Download where you have followed the setup complete with a modified layout or layouts as described in the following article
http://www.jdownloads.net/documentation-for-v3-9-beta/general-items-v3-9/converting-jd-custom-fields-to-joomla-fields

Hope this helps but please let us know what you have setup
Colin
Colin M
  •  

Lena

Hi Colin,

in the pictures you can see my config with the jd custom fields and a download example in the backend.
I'd like to know what's coming with the upgrade. Is the information still there in every download on the right hand side? If not I'll have to configure the Joomla fields like the jd custom fields. I see no problem there. After doing that can I tell the system/database somehow what jd custom field is the new joomla field without setting it in every dowload by hand?

Quote from the documentation: "This procedure is then repeated for all the Downloads."

Kind regards,
Lena

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
  •  

ColinM

Lena
Seems you have made good use of the jD Custom Fields. :)
Clearly they appear in every Download.  The combinations are huge.  Doing this manually with 6000 Downloads is going to be very, very tiresome, and possibly error prone.
Setting up the Joomla! Fields is not a problem but it is populating them correctly.  The output spread sheet does have all the data but...

I will bring this to Arno's attention - and also think on this further myself.

Colin
Colin M
  •  

Arno

Hi Lena,
scheint ja das wir auch in Deutsch kommunizieren können.  ;)

Momentan nur einmal der Hinweis, dass du nicht zwingend auf die neue Version updaten musst. Die Version 3.2 bleibt vorläufig bestehen, allerdings werden nur noch Sicherheitsupdates dafür zur Verfügung gestellt (wenn erforderlich). Ebenso bleibt ja auch von Joomla selbst der Support für die Version 3.9 bis auf weiteres bestehen. Auch nach dem Erscheinen von Joomla 4.0.

Irgendwann im Laufe diesen Jahres werden wir sicherlich eine Möglichkeit zur Übernahme der alten 'Custom Fields' nach 3.9 anbieten. Wann das sein wird kann ich aber momentan noch nicht sagen, vermute aber eher im zweiten Halbjahr.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

Lena

Hi Arno,

klar, Deutsch geht immer  ;)
Das Update wollte ich auch nicht überstürzen, aber man macht sich ja schon einmal schlau und schaut was es auch tolles Neues gibt etc.  ;D
Demnach lasse dir mit einem Tool o.ä. auch gerne Zeit bis zum zweiten Halbjahr  ;)

Gruß
Lena
  •  

Arno

Hi Lena,
wenn du noch Interesse hast, könntest du jetzt einmal den Import der benutzerdefinierten Felder versuchen. Die neueste Beta 6 enthält nun entsprechende Funktionen. Allerdings solltest du dies nur auf einer Testumgebung versuchen. Es können bei der Beta immer noch Probleme beim Import auftreten. Vermutlich aber auch nur dann, wenn du die Felder in der alten Version für Mehrsprachigkeit eingerichtet hattest. ist dies nicht der Fall, sollte es eigentlich reibungslos funktionieren. Aber wie gesagt, noch Beta.

Benötigt wird nur ein Installiertes Joomla mit jD 3.2.65 oder neuer. Könntest ja via jD Backup eine Datensicherung deiner Liveseite ziehen und sie in der Testumgebung wieder einspielen. Dann nur noch das Update starten.

Die neueste Beta schick ich dir dann per PM, wenn gewünscht.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

Lena

Hi Arno,

das klingt super und klasse, dass du bei dem beta und der Funktion an mich denkst!
Da Joomla 4 bevorsteht, wollte ich sowieso mal einen alten Rechner mit Linux/Apache etc. als Testsystem ausstatten.
Demnach schicke mir gerne die Beta zu. Ich spiele das ganze dann mit einer Kopie der Website (und Joomla 3.9.15) durch.
Es kann aber zwei - drei Wochen dauern, je nachdem wie ich am Wochenende dazu komme.

Gruß
Lena
  •