News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

New downloads or catergories...

Started by Redington, 31.08.2019 14:14:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Redington

Hello everyone,,
Have only just started learning to use Joomla! in the last few months but I am getting on really well with it!  I have been using jDownloads for the past couple of months with great success, however, when I logged in the other night I got a message telling me that there was a module update available for jDownloads.  I promptly installed this and didn't think anything more of it.

However, I have been trying to edit some user permissions on some of the files within jDownloads and even though 'Registered' users are set to be able to download from the Global Config, the downloads, when you click on them show that Registered users are not permitted to download.

What I have also noticed is that if you try and create a new category or download you get the following message above the permissions area with a big warning triangle - COM_JDOWNLOADS_SET_CREATE_PERMISSIONS_WARNING

Is anyone able to help please??

Thanks,

ColinM

Hi
I doubtif the update has anything to do with your 'challenge'.Have you read the documentation on the Joomla! permissions.
See http://www.jdownloads.net/documentations/category/access-controls-and-user-group-permissions
If you have ever used a Deny setting then it has many ramifications and results one does not expect at first.  User Groups have inheritance so permissions are inherited from higher  layers - the Public UG is the highest and the progenitor of all other User Groups
So if you grant a permission to the Public UG it is avaliable for all.  But the Joomla permisions also inherit fro the 'component' permissions to Categories and sub cats and finally to Downloads.  So it is rare indeed to grant permission diretly for a Download
Normally I do not set Permissions any permissions the global section but only in the top level Categories.
To reset the permissions on Downloads to 'inherit' use the jD Tools section
Colin
Colin M
  •  

Arno

Hi,
the missing text for the message is this:

QuoteImportant: It is strongly recommended that you do not change any permissions until after doing a Save of your new Category or Download so that the new item inherits the permissions from its parent item (which is usually the parent Category or, in the case of a top level category, from the Component permissions). Subsequently after Saving you will only need to change those permissions that you wish to be different to those of the parent item.

But I do not understand why it is not displayed.  :-\
I will check this.

What is your currently installed jDownloads version?
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

Arno

Hi,
I can not reproduce your problem with the COM_JDOWNLOADS_SET_CREATE_PERMISSIONS_WARNING message.
See pic. This message is not an error but only a hint for the user.

For your basicly problem has Colin already give you hints.

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •