News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Separation of design and content

Started by UweS, 29.08.2019 14:34:24

Previous topic - Next topic

UweS

As soon as there is a new major version, it would be nice to separate the HTML output from the design completely. This requires good semantics and cleanly named selectors without inline statements.

I want my own CSS! :)

Because I had to override nearly everthing.
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Not sure I understand properly!
When you say overrides which code are you overriding?
Most users want a reasonable simple screen.  Basically the screen views are driven by the layouts which are like mini templates
Essentially the 'placeholders' {   } are like macros or very simple plugins in the layout.Generally each line in a layout has its own css class associated with it.  Many people use the custom css facility to customise.
You can make your own layouts as the screen design.  The code generation  phase in the default.php basically replaces the placeholders with relevant code.  That is the layouts control the view on the screen.
What is confusing is the the layouts are multipart with header, footers sub headers and the main part.  It is not necessarily clear which part is used when.
Do you perhaps have an example I could look at please.
Colin

Colin M
  •  

UweS

Hi Collin,

With overrides I meant all that CSS that can't be disabled. For example in the jdownloads_fe.css and jdownloads_buttons delivered by the plugin. Additionally there is some inline-css that are not even valid. Example: style="text-align:top;border:0px;". This is included in the placeholder "{file_pic}" I think.

The problem with custom.css is that it is again an additional style content that only overwrites the default.css. So for web projects only junk.

A checkbox "dont include any css - I do it by myself" would help. 

The layout control with header etc. is understandable but could be clearer with other identifiers.

Uwe 
  •  

Arno

Hi Uwe,
QuoteA checkbox "dont include any css - I do it by myself" would help.
Okay, in the version 3.9 is this possibility now added. See pic.
It is planned to start with the public beta in the next days.

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

UweS

Ho ho. Was für ein Service. Danke!
  •  

Arno

Allerdings wird dann nur die jdownloads_fe.css nicht geladen, alle anderen schon. Also die für die Button und die 'Custom' wenn vorhanden. ist hoffentlich okay.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

ColinM

Uwe,
You mentioned that there was some inline css
QuoteExample: style="text-align:top;border:0px;".
But I could not find in any of the file layouts could you gide me better please as I would want to remove
ColinPS are you using one of the old Table based layouts? these are disappearing!!PPS would you like to help test the new jD3.9>
Colin M
  •