News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

How to setup "guests" to view and "registered users to download

Started by indianloveindia, 16.08.2019 12:42:18

Previous topic - Next topic

indianloveindia

Hi Forum
I want to allow guests/visitors to view the download, but they must registered before downloading the file. How can I set it. Kindly help.
Thanks & Regards
  •  

ColinM

Hi,
This is about setting up view Access and Download Permission.In the Global jDownloads Permissions settings the default permission is for Public to be able to Download.  This is then inherited by all the jD categories and Downloads.So change the Download Permission to Inherit - do NOT set to Deny as it will stop everyone!! And Save. Then set the Registered User Group Download permission to Allow.  Again Save.  The Save propogates the Permissions
You now need to set the Access level as Public for every jD Category and Download  This is actually the default setting so it should alreadsy be set.
There is documentation at http://www.jdownloads.net/documentations/category/access-controls-and-user-group-permissions should you rquire a more complex scheme where some Downloads are also available to Public users.
Colin

Colin M
  •  

indianloveindia

Hi ColinM
Thanks for your reply. I done the same changes, but download is still available for visitors. Kindly Help.

Thanks & Regards

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Had you previously set permissions on the jD Categories or Downloads? I forgot to tell you to also set the  the Guest User Group permissions to Inherited.
To get back to the initial jD permission state go to the jD control Panel and select Tools.  First click on the Reset Downloads permissions. Then repeat for Reset Categories permissions.
Now got to the jD Global Permissions and chek that Guests user group as well as the Public user group do not have Download Permissions. If they do set back to Inherited and Save

After that go to the Registered Group,  reset Downloads permission to Inherited and Save.  This is to force back to the initial state. At this juncture none of the Public, Guest or Registered user groups should have permission to Download.  If you list the Categories/Downloads you should see mesages saying no permission to Download.
Now go to the global permissions again , set Registered user group to Allowed and Save so that the permmission propagate.
All should now be well
Colin
Colin M
  •  

indianloveindia

Hi
Thanks for your support and help. It working but another issue come. Once I login "download" button appears, when click on download button it redirects to another (final) download page, but once we copied the URL of this final page and logout, and after logout when we paste the same copied url on browser download is available without login. Kindly help
Thanks & Regards

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
  •  

ColinM

Hi,
This should be disabled by an .htaccess file. 
So got to Config-Security -Protect your Download-directory?and set to yes.
To test you may need to clear your browsers history, the Joomla1 Cache and also logout of front and back end
Ideally use a different PC or other device
Colin
Colin M
  •