News:

Dear forum visitors, if the support forum is not available, please try again a few minutes later. Thanks!

Main Menu
Support-Forum

How to translate category names

Started by renesp, 11.07.2019 16:35:45

Previous topic - Next topic

renesp

Hi all,

first of all thank you so much for this awesome module. I'm very happy about it and once I finish the construction of my site I will definetely buy the licensed version :)

Just to continue with my work, I'd like to know if it's possible to translate the category names?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
  •  

ColinM

Hi,
Not sure I understand you!  The category name can be any text string and is not intrinsically language specific.
When you installed Joomla! did you set up uthe database to to support utf8mb4_unicode_ci which allows just about everything?Are you intending to set up a multi language site?
Colin   

Colin M
  •  

renesp

Hello @colin.

Yes, I'm creating a multilingual site. So, if I create a category called "Food", where and how can I translate it to Spanish and German.
I don't want to create new/different categories, just translate the same to each frontend language.

Thanks for your help.
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Have you read  https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Setup_a_Multilingual_Site Presently we are working on a major jD update that supports Multilingual Associations.
jDownloads has Categories and Downloads.  This is just like Joomla! Categories and Articles.  In each case you need a Category specific to each language  That is if I set up a category called 'general' with say Spanish as its language and I create another category called 'general' but with German as its languge then these are two different categories.  Of course one would in practice also translate the title.
If you have not already done so I would suggest you experiment with Joomla! articles.
In jDownloads Backend if you select an existing Category then you can use the Batch operation to copy a category and at the same time change its language.  Would Suggest that you create the Spanish and German top level categories first.  You need to go to each category to translate its title.
Sometimes the file that is to be downloaded is the same in both languages.  One still needs to create separate Downloads, each with their language assignment but one of the Downloads can have the actual file and the other can use the 'Select from Other Download' feature.
Colin
Colin M
  •  

renesp

Thank you Colin,

this is actually what I was trying to avoid:
When a spanish user uploads a file to the corresponding spanish named category, it should actually show in the english named category as well. As there's no possibility to create associations, I was confused about how to proceed.

Resuming: I have to create/translate as much categories as languages I have on my site. This will however not allow me to shop up a download in all the available languages automatically.

Too bad! :) Anyway, JDownload is still an awesome addon and I will keep on tricking about this
  •  

ColinM

Hi
We are working on a new major release of jDownloads.  This does support Associations. But that facility is the same as Joomla! has with articles.

For reference Articles and Downloads are content items  The association tells Joomla! which content item in one language is 'associated' with a particular content item(s) in another language.  It does not create the content item but if you use the language switcher it knows what to show.
The Batch operation will copy a jD Category or a Download to another Cateegory and change the language code.  So if you set up for one language then you can copy the iten=ms much easier.  It does not copy the downloadable file and you still need to do any translations of title , descriptions etc but the the structure is set up the same.
Colin
Colin M
  •  

renesp

Hi Colin,

thanks for your support and kind explanation.

I'm looking forward to the future release which supports this scenario.

Best.
  •  

Arno

jDownloads supportet also the FaLang extension for multilingual content.
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •