News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Download permission to registered users

Started by antonios, 10.07.2019 16:17:07

Previous topic - Next topic

antonios

Hi

I just realized that all my downloadable files can be publically seen but none of them is downloadable.

My plan is to have those files be downloaded but only by registered users. How do I make this happen? Do I have to change this for every file manually one by one or ise there a way to make this happen for all files with just a single change of a setting?
Also I tried to change the default permission for registered users (in JDownload) to Allowed for the download property, but still doesn't work, a label is shown beside each file saying that the user doesn't have permission to download.
Can somebody please help? Cheers
  •  

ColinM

Hi
The ability to see a Download or a Category depends on the View Access.
It is the Permissions that control who can Download.  The way permissions work is that if you give a permission to one user group then that permsion is inherited by all of the decendants.  For example all users who are members of the Registered User Group (UG) are also members by inheritance of the Public user Group.
Suppose you have two top level Categories one called Public-Cat and the other call Registered-Cat.  Go to the Registered-Cat and set the Registered group to Allowed permission for Downloads - then Save - do not do Save & Close at this juncture, the Save will propogate the permissions to any sub cats and Downloads.  When the Save has completed you can then Save & Close.

Then go to the Public UG for Registered-Cat and set the Download permission to Inherited (it is probably set to inherited already) and Save. Again when Save comples then Save & Close.  You may see that Download permission is already allowed by inheritance and this will have come from the Component Permissions which we will fix in a later step.
Now go to the Public-UG of the Public-cat and set the Downloads Permission to Allowed and Save.  Check that the Downloads Permission of the Registered UG is inherited.
Now go to the jD System Permissions and set the Public UG premission to Download to Inherited and Save.  Then close and check all is wellNever use Deny as it has many unforeseen side effects
ColinPS there are several articles in the Documentation.

Colin M
  •  

antonios

Dear Colin, thanks for your reply. I have tried to implement what you explain but it doesn't seem to work for some reason.Not totally at least. I have many categories (of the Register-cat type of your example) within JD, whose files should only be downloadable from Author users. What I am realizing is that the single files within each category have, for some reason, a 'deny' on the author property (and on others as well). After I change this immediately the file is downloadable. So the scenario that I have in front of me is that I will have to go to each file, one by one, and change those permissions. So now the question is how have these files received a 'deny' value in the first place since I don't think I put it. And is there a way to change the download permission to all of them in one go?
Regards
  •  

antonios

Also I just noticed a new thing! Although some of the files appear to be downloadable, because a download button now appears beside them, still as a matter of fact they aren't! first a message string is still visible saying that the file isn't downloadable, and second, when I click on the download button, a message is displayed saying that "No authorized access to downloads". So it looks like that the user needs some other level of permission in order to be able to download.
Regards
  •  

ColinM

Hi
It needs a super user to set the Deny permissions.  Permissions can be challenging because of the Inheritance.  This works with Public as the root.  So if you set a permission in Public every User Group inherits it.
Have you seen the documentation about user group permissions on the web site?One of the jD Tools will reset all the permissions on Downloads back to inherited which is what they should be.The only Permissions that need setting are the Top level CategoriesDO NOT set permissions in the jDownloads Options (these are called Component Permissions)

I will send you a Private MessageColin
Colin M
  •  

antonios

Dear Colin
I think I managed to make all the files downloadable following your advise of resetting the download permission to inheritance.
At that point only a few categories had a Deny download permission which I changed again to inherited, to obtain the intended result.
Thanks for your support
Best regards
  •  

ColinM

Antonios
Glad you were able to sort out
Colin
Colin M
  •