News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

How to setup single user downloads

Started by FrankJ, 09.06.2019 14:51:15

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankJ

Hello Forum,
I am migrating an old website using DOCMAN to jDownloads.
There I have 100 users who each have individual downloads and some common downloads.
For example I have a category "programs" with downloads "user1prog.exe","common1prog.exe" and "common2prog.exe" and a category "manuals" with "user1manual.pdf", "common1.pdf" and "common2.pdf":
programs
- user1prog.exe
- common1prog.exe
- common2prog.exe
manuals
- user1manual.pdf
- common1.pdf
- common2.pdf
Another user logging in sees:
programs
- user2prog.exe
- common1prog.exe
- common2prog.exe
manuals
- user2manual.pdf
- common1.pdf
- common2.pdf
In DOCMAN I can give a download to group or user. In jDownloads this seems not possible. What is the best way to achieve this?

Frank
  •  

FrankJ

Ok, I found a way, but it's very long-winded and cumbersome. Perhaps it helps other users with similar problems.

• For each user with own files I made a "group" with same name and parent "registered" and put only this user in it.
  • Then also for each user I created an "access level" and put this single user group and Admins in it.
  • I changed the "access" field of the files of this user from registered to this new "access level".
So I will end up with 100 single user groups and access levels. :-\

Perhaps it would be nice new feature if there would be a field for an "access user" in a download or category which you can leave empty. Empty is as before, everyone of the set access level can view the file, but if you set a user, only that user would have access.

Frank
  •  

ColinM

Hi
I was in the process of replying along the lines you have found.  You might also find it useful  to have a jD menu item My Downloads set with a Registered view Access. That will list all those Dowloads which have the relevant user set as the 'creator' of the Download irrespective of which Category the Download is in. You can set this in the Additional Info tab when a Download is created/edited.Also assuming your public info has a common top level Category then using the jD menu Item List a Single Category, which automatically includes the sub cats, is helpful.
Yes the present arrangement is 'interesting' with the Joomla! permissions system. :(
We are currently working on a new major release that amongst many other enhancements specifically allows setting a Single User Access.  It is one of the things I am about to start testing! And the documenting.  Please see attached pics.
Your next question is of course When.  Not certain so all I can say is it is our highest priority - basically it is like the length of a pieece of string: namely twice as long as half of it! :D More seriously we will be looking for beta testers so if you are interested please let us know.
Best wishes
Colin

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
Colin M
  •  

FrankJ

Looks like you're working on a feature exactly as I proposed.  ;D

Gladly I am not bad in SQL and Excel and I build SQL scripts which created 100 user, usergroups, user_usergroup_maps and viewlevels direct in joomla db. I even was able to transfer 300 files with titles, descriptions, symbols, dates and access for group and user this way.

So no need to hurry for me.

Thanks for your work
Frank

PS:
Any idea why new lines are not displayed in forum editor (Firefox)?
And I always have to do a captcha (perhaps too few posts)?
  •  

ColinM

Frank
Glad it was no problem for you!To get new lines in Forum then click on {k} at end of tool bar after you have typed a bit.  have no idea why it behaves as it does!!
Colin
Colin M
  •