News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

External File Link Not Working

Started by mrevell@axisclinical.com, 01.04.2019 23:09:29

Previous topic - Next topic

mrevell@axisclinical.com

Hello,

We are trying to utilized the External File Link funciton in jD. However, when we attempt to do this via the 'normal' process (i.e. paste the link in the External File Link location, the link is cut off and does not allow our end users to access the necessary file.

As a workaround, we have been inputting in a date field, i.e. April 1, 2019, and hyperlinking it to the content needed. However, this does not allow us to see who has downloaded the content.

Is there a way for the External File Link function to be updated to accept a larger link (or a larger string?).

Cheers,
Madden
  •  

Arno

Hi,
you mean that the data field for the external file link is to short? This field is at the moment 255 characters long.

Maybe could you also use a link shortener like bitly?
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

mrevell@axisclinical.com

We have tried that, but when using the bitly link it is performing the same - it will 'download' the file, but it is 0 bytes and is not what our end users are ultimately needing. Do you have any other suggestions?
  •  

ColinM

Hi
With any external file you need to set the sizeyourself as jD has no way it can find the size.
Just re-tested with a file that is about 260kBytes.  The size is only used to give the user the information, it is not actually used dutring the downloading.
Colin
Colin M
  •  

mrevell@axisclinical.com

That has nothing to do with what we are needing.

We have a link that contains a signature & key pair, and as such can not be shortened. Shortening the link makes it non-functional. We need to increase the character limit in the 'External File Link' field. Is this possible?
  •  

Arno

Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

mrevell@axisclinical.com

The one in question is 479, so I think upping it to 500 characters would do the trick.
  •  

Arno

500 chars?  Why is the link so long?
jDownloads exists since over ten years but never has a user posted problems with the field length before.
Have you also tried the settings on the pic below?

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
  •  

mrevell@axisclinical.com

The link is provided by Amazon to deploy an .msi file for our customers that have purchased a cloud product from us. I can't give you a reason as to why it is so long.

As I have stated, we are unable to shorten the link because it contains a signature and a key pair that is necessary for the download. All I need to know is if that character limit can be extended or not. Please advise.
  •  

Arno

Hi Madden,
okay I think I understand your problem.

For a fast solution your can run this query in your phpmyadmin:

ALTER TABLE `#_jdownloads_files` CHANGE `extern_file` `extern_file` VARCHAR(600) CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8mb4_unicode_ci NOT NULL DEFAULT '';

But you must replace at first the # character with the characters from your table prefix. Recommended is also to create a database backup before you run the query.

Please note that this changed only the data field size in your jD installation. So you must repeat this action when ever you want to install a fresh jD version on another server (with the same data).
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
  •  

mrevell@axisclinical.com

Arno,

Thanks so much for sending this over, you've been super helpful! We will vet out this solution, and keep an eye on your release notes to see if the file link character length is ever increased as an enhancement.

Thanks again,
Madden
  •