News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Upload issue

Started by joomvt, 07.02.2019 16:48:30

Previous topic - Next topic

joomvt

I have jdownloads setup so a user can add/remove files from a folder and it will update on the front end without the need for frontend uploads. Our files get updated frequently with new versions as policies change often. I recently noticed that when a user removes a file, and re-adds it with the same filename, the download will not be created. We have been doing it this way for sometime and I am not sure when it stopped working. Anyone else have this issue?
  •  

Arno

Hello,
excuse me but I understand not exactly your file update procedure.
A user removed the only the assigned file (via ftp) and updated not the Download self?  ::)
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

joomvt

I have folders setup in the jdownloads directory and they are my categories. When a user makes changes to a file, we would just delete the current file in the folder, then we would add the new file to that same folder. The auto monitoring would show the old file as not found and thus unpublished, and would also see the new file and add that as published.

When we follow this procedure now, it will show the old file as unpublished, but will not see the new file. I do believe that this is because when the old file is deleted, the record still stays in the database and since the filename would remain the same, the database will not allow it. If I delete the database record, the new file is found.

I would like to add that this only started happening after my update to Joomla 3.9.2
  •  

ColinM

Hi
How are you deleting the file?If you just delete using say an FTP such as FileZilla then jD is unaware it has been deleted.  You are correct when you say that is the probable cause.I think this has always been the case.  It may work if you replace the deleted file with one of exactly the same name and alias in the same directory as the one that was deleted.  But that is risky, and you may have been lucky with no one else adding a file elsewhere or some similar event.

You can delete a file from within jDownloads so that it is now a Download without a file.  You can then add a file by editting the Download.If you do this please do from the Backend as doing from the front end in jD 3.2.63 has a bug that is fixed in 3.2.64
Colin
Colin M
  •  

joomvt

I have folder shortcuts setup for my users so they would just delete the file that way. As I said it was working this way with the auto monitoring of the downloads area enabled but since I now have over 1,000 files, the auto monitoring no longer works. I do understand if the way I have it setup is not the recommended way so I will have to see if I can set it up another way. I also do believe that it was the Joomla update that broke it somewhere in the code.
  •  

ColinM

HiIf I understand correctly what you want to do is for the file to be updated in the same Download, a sort of 'replace file' user capability.  Is that right?

Surprised that auto monitoring 'no longer works' as the limiting factor is not the number of existing Downloads but the number being added. 
Presently we are working on the next major series and in that version the monitoring can be separated between Categories or Downloads.
Colin

Colin M
  •  

joomvt

You are correct in saying that I am looking for a replace file option. I know this can be done in a few ways I just have the folder shortcuts for my users for ease of use for them. The auto monitoring stopped working a little while back. Users would add new files and they would say the files were not showing up on the frontend. If I logged into the backend component, it would then show the new files being added.
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Were the uploaded files being automatically Published?Check Config - Monitoring - item Automatically publish Downloads?
Colin
Colin M
  •