News:

Dear forum visitors, if the support forum is not available, please try again a few minutes later. Thanks!

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Discuss about SEO / Macht SEO Sinn?

Started by lukass2000, 21.11.2009 18:20:38

Previous topic - Next topic

lukass2000

Das Grundsätzliche Problem liegt darin, das mir eigentlich noch keiner Sagen konnte ob Google heutzutage einen Vorteil in SEO optimierten (Suchmaschinen freundlichen) URL´s sieht oder nicht.
Der eine sagt ja der andere "heutzutage" nein ???

Sorry, falsches Thema, aber wollte mal gesagt werden :(
www.freie-welle.net - Webradio - Community - Music Up- & Download - Games - Info
  •  

peripsum

Arno ich sag ja nen Forum zum Diskutieren fehlt noch :D

Also von meiner Erfahrung aus, bringt es nichts mehr mit seo - würde da lieber auf andere sachen setzen.

PS: ich seh du nutzt auch jomsocial :) - hätte da ein paar Fragen, weil ich morgen online gehen will - und
naja :( meinst koennte dich fragen? :D
  •  

lukass2000

Mich plagt schon das schlechte Gewissen, da wir gerade das Thema total verfehlen  :-[

Auf welche Sachen bezüglich SEO würdest du setzen?
www.freie-welle.net - Webradio - Community - Music Up- & Download - Games - Info
  •  

peripsum

Quote from: lukass2000 on 21.11.2009 21:12:16
Mich plagt schon das schlechte Gewissen, da wir gerade das Thema total verfehlen  :-[

Auf welche Sachen bezüglich SEO würdest du setzen?

ups, hab das heut erst gesehen :-) sorry - bin manchmal durcheinander, frag mal arno der kann nen lied davon singen :D

Für welche Seite, das Radio?
  •  

guest1926

i like the topic about SEO, but i dont understand what are you talking, can please speak in english....
  •  

ep98

they talk about the missing SEF url support in current 1.5.1 RC :) also Arno looking for people understanding Joomla and SEF to make next RC or Final with SEF support.
  •  

guest2391

Me, too. I like SEO and wants to learn some more but it seems I can't jump in the discussion because I don' understand a single word, except of course SEO.  Nonetheless, thank you for giving us an idea of what they are actually talking about.
  •  

peripsum

The topic is about:

If SEO-URLS make sense for google.

And i wrote my opinion: NO! :D

But we can start also a discussion in english about SEO if some people interested
and supporting jDownloads :D

•  

Ecologic

The various techniques can include but are not limited to, Meta tags and Header tags, keyword density, and alt tag optimization. As well as this, Off Page optimization is taken into consideration.

Off Page SEO techniques involve securing, maintaining and growing relevant backlinks, with certain configurations in the anchor text. This can have a great effect in raising the rankings of specific keyterms.
  •  

david333

i am also interested in SEO. Maybe someone could explain in more detail  in further discussion
  •  

graywlf

Hello everyone! As you will soon realize, I am new to Jdownloads. I do not fully understand all of the capabilities it has to offer. But in regards to

SEO, I have been researching this topic heavily in the past 2 weeks and I think I may be able to share some of what I have learned.....My SEO research has been focused on Joomla and web site accessibility as it pertains to Google SEO and organic page ranking.  

Here are some thoughts to share...

1. Google SEO-Pageranking is built on a number of factors, One of the critical factors seems to be the number of links to your site from

other "quality" i.e "good neighbor" sites that offer similar or complimentary content. For this you need to build relationships with other similar sites and deliver content as a community. Trash,spam sites as well as link farms will hurt your standing. so watch those external links.... Especially in the user comments and rating areas. Use no-follow tags in your comments (if JD provides this capability)

More relevant to this topic will be what you may be able to do with Jdownloads to help your SEO.....   again, I refer to my newness with this component so please confirm or correct my posting....

2. Google searches your content for keywords that they can match up to the search phrases people use.... A few key words is better than a lot....too many and Google will penalize you for keyword stuffing. Using highly competitive keywords are good if you have high quality content and a good standing with Google... They are more effective when they are backed up with other keywords that are not high usage words. Basically this means using a variation of keywords that are similar, have almost the same meaning but are spelled differently....

3. As far as quality content relates to Jdownloads, I think the download descriptions is one area that can serve in a similar capacity as a Joomla Article to serve as a source of unique content. I.E.  The download description offers you a place to deliver content related to the download.... Talk about it using your keywords and phrases.

This is seen by Google as a unique content page IF the URL is unique AND the mix of key words varies slightly from other articles on you site.... I.E delivered as a summary of an article that leads the user to the download and offers additional keywords in its "content".  

Note: even if you do not "optimize" your JD file descriptions with relevant keywords, It is equally important to avoid repeating the same phrases over and over on your download descriptions Repetitious of phrases are not unique and can hurt your SEO standing.

4. At all costs, avoid "cloaking"   Providing descriptions that are not relevant to the content....

5. Make your Jdownloads experience as unique as possible..  I.E avoid using default messages. Although these messages are helpful to get our JD sites functioning faster, default messages are common across most JD equipped sites and are NOT UNIQUE.

Google sees them as exact same content - different URL, different domain.. Hurts your SEO.

6. If it is possible and feasible, It may be better to allow Google (and other search engines) to crawl your pages up to the point that a file can be downloaded. Under most circumstances, YOU SHOULD NOT ALLOW GOOGLE TO DOWNLOAD YOUR FILES.  Google will cache your pages and users may be able to download the files from Google cache instead of your active site. (1. its your traffic and 2. users may be getting files and information from an outdated, inactive, unpublished or archived page).....

7. I don't know if JD allows you to enable a no-follow option for individual files, links or categories generated (pointing to) JD content, but a no-follow or redirect would be useful in this capacity. This is especially true if the download points to an external URL. Helps avoid pointing to "bad neighbor" sites and associating your site with broken links... Bad for SEO....

8. Access permissions to categories will effect you as well. SEO is irrelevant to any content page that Google cannot access as an unregistered user.... I'm not sure if you can allow Google limited access to index your site as a "registered" user or not...

9. Google doesn't like broken links. whenever possible, Use automatic Redirection capabilities to control Broken links to files that are no longer on your site. at the very minimum, send the user to the sites home page or a broken link page with links to your site navigation. Goodness is to use a redirect tool that is capable of building dynamic content based upon admin specified variables or from any information the search engine provides in the HTTP referral information.

10. Meta tags in General,

- Meta descriptions are important because they are what Google uses to tell the user what they can expect to find when they click on the link to your site. Google often mixes page content with Meta Descriptions. IF JD uses meta descriptions within the download description, on an individual file basis, this is good as a meta description combined with a good download description, and the use of H1 tags, can be used to generate the unique content Google is looking for....

H1 and Title tags are important for Google SEO. I do not know if the JD download Descriptions provide H1 or Title tags, but these two tags are where Your keywords belong....  

There are a number of other meta tags you can associate with content. Many of them are not used as much by Google anymore. Some of the other Search engines may still use this but, I have very little knowledge of what other search engines do.... But again I do not know exactly what capabilities JD can provide in the way of unique Meta Data within the section/category/File descriptions  if any...

11. Anchor Texts, the description you see when a link is present Is also an important SEO factor. Buttons, images and Anchor text that provide a link to something else need to be descriptive, keyword focused description. Buttons and images should also use <ALT TEXT> 100% of the time. This is important for accessibility reasons... Blind, audio browsers and because search engines cannot read text contained within an image... ???Does Jdownloads allow you access to this capability within its native modules and content pages?  every bit helps.....

12. Google cannot read JavaScript either so, alternate texts for JavaScript can also be useful....but that may be too involved for the JD user to access and administer...

13. Include links to JD Sections, Categories and File Descriptions in the XML site map Google will use to crawl your site. I do not know if JD provides this ability, if it has to be made manually or if there are 3rd party component that can do this for you. But I have read that Google likes it when you submit a site map to your content.....Google knows where to look and through the XML site map, you can also provide "privileged" links to Google that other bots will avoid if the no-follow tag is associated with the link in the rendered HTML page.

that's it for me, I know there is a lot more to SEO but this is what comes to mind when I thin about how I would utilize good SEO within the framework of the Jdownloads extension.

Graywlf

•  

benmolrey

@Graywlf
I guess you've written almost everything. Thanks for the nice info.
  •  

toothfairy

What would be the simplest way to understand SEO especially if the person is not technical at all?
  •  

nicholasstorm

Fully agree with toothfairy. I'm a web designer but focuses alot on design and user experience GUI. I have just very basic SEO understanding and mostly
outsource this not really knowing what's going on with the tags and keywords. I need to take this over to better control and try to improve rankings but
seriously, I don't want to spend forever understanding SEO too.
Any chance perhaps for a dummies 101 version please? Thanks.
  •  

oliverpresley

There are lots of SEO tutorials out there. I myself is also a newbie in SEO but planning to increase my knowledge about it.
  •