News:

Dear forum visitors, if the support forum is not available, please try again a few minutes later. Thanks!

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Can't make download limits work

Started by larbut, 20.11.2018 22:04:30

Previous topic - Next topic

larbut

I can't for the life of me, make the download limits work.
Users can download as many files as they like no matter what I do.
The Dowload Limits module shows the correct limits I have set.
Can anyone assist me in getting the correct settings?
Currently I have the following settings, see pictures.

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
  •  

ColinM

Hi
I think your problem is the Number of Downloads limit.  You have set that to 3 so that is for all time for that user group - it species the number of downloads ever allowed!!  Suggest you set it to 0
Colin
Colin M
  •  

larbut01

Thanks Colin,
I've now changed the "Number of Downloads limit" to zero.
But, I can't see how that would allow "Members" to download as many files as they like?
-Lars
  •  

ColinM

Lars,
Each user group is separate.  Soif you want to limit members of the public then set the limits on the public user group. 
If your members, that is users who login, are say members of the Registered group then clear the limits for that user group.
To help further I need to know your 'structure'

Colin
Colin M
  •  

larbut01

Hi again Colin, long time since last post, but still...

The Download Limits are still not working for my installation.
The user "structure" I have can be seen in the attached image, with Limits setup. I basically have one group , "Member" that I want to limit to maximum 5 downloads pr day (pr user)

Any help is much appreciated.

-Lars

•  

ColinM

Lars
The way you have set things up looks OK. 
Are you finding that when you test more are allowed?  This is the case if the same user downloads from the same Download. There is a special 'allowance' to do this in case the previous attempt was corrupted.  The normal time period for this is a hour! So to test you need to select different Downloads or temporarily turn of the 'allowance', which is in User Groups Settings- Download Duration, by setting it to zero.
Colin
Colin M
  •  

larbut

Hi Colin, thank you for the reply.
I think there's a couple of issues here:

1. The Module "jDownloads View Limits" does not take into consideration the principle you describe above. The module counts down even if a user downloads the same file over and over again. Still, as you say, the user can download the same file more than the limits says.

2. I have a download limit of 5 pr day.
The user first downloads one file, but get problems and tries three more times the same file, and succeeds in the last attempt (this should count for one download, if Download Duration is set, see below). Then the user downloads another file, which should be the second file in then limit count, but the limit counter counts it as the fifth file. Further downloads are stopped because of reaching daily limit of 5. The user just got two unique files.

I can't find the setting you mention, "User Groups Settings - Download Duration"
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Thanks for pointing out a possible problem with the Limits Module.  I will look at that separately.
QuoteThe Module "jDownloads View Limits" does not take into consideration the principle you describe above. The module counts down even if a user downloads the same file over and over again. Still, as you say, the user can download the same file more than the limits says
The Download Duration setting is in User Groups setting on left side for each user group - see pic.
With the Download Duration you need to stay on the same page and press the same Download button - that is if you move to look at another page or change the existing page then each Download is counted as a Download.  Basically one is trying to simulate a 'Download Manager' that issues multiple requests.  Testing this facility is very tiresome!!Colin

Colin M
  •  

ColinM

hi
I have just checked out the Limits module, and it is OK as it does obey the 'Download Duration 'rule.  I set it to 5 minutes duration.My setup is that the Download opens in another page as if it opens in the same page then the Download was a success.  to check that the download limit does or does not change I have the limits module showing in a side bar.  To see the new value without a Joomla! page rewrite I have a I refresh the page in the Browser - I am using Firefox and have a plugin (Empty Cache Button with option reload current page) that clears the cache and refreshes the page.
As I say this facility is challenging to test!!
Colin
Colin M
  •