News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Downloads Taking A Long Time

Started by dlcinsd, 02.11.2018 22:40:43

Previous topic - Next topic

dlcinsd

Our pdf downloads are taking a long time.  Sometimes 45 seconds or more.  And sometimes we get an error that says "too many redirects"

Currently using Joomla 3.9 and JDownloads 3.2.63 

I've tried the following:

- Disabling every Extension I can except JDownloads
- Disabling all possible plugins
- Disabling all possible modules
- Checking htaccess file and replacing with default version
- Running site on 3 different servers (all same result)
- Running site on localhost using WAMP (same result)
- Put a pdf on the server, without using JDownloads, and then tried downloading that separate pdf.  All was fine!

So I'm stumped.

Can anyone offer advice?
  •  

ColinM

Hi
You have done a lot of testing in different situations!  Will try to help.

What setting do you have in Config - Security tab - Protect your Download-directory?

Do you have any trouble in uploading?
Colin
Colin M
  •  

dlcinsd

Hi Colin.  Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

In regard to your question, "Protect your Download-directory?" is set to Yes.

We aren't having any trouble uploading pdf's.
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Could you try the effect of setting the "Protect your Download-directory?" to No.  Just trying to eliminate possibilities!!
ColinEDIT  Forgot to ask what browser are you using?
Colin M
  •  

dlcinsd

I tried that earlier, but tried again.

No change.

I'm using Chrome. 

I also tested with Mozilla.  Same result.
  •  

dlcinsd

If it would help I can give you access to our staging server.  Just let me know how best to securely send you the info.
  •  

dlcinsd

Here's my WAMP php error log after trying to download a pdf:

[05-Nov-2018 21:08:35 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: user_random_id in C:\Documents\www\mysite\live\components\com_jdownloads\helpers\jdownloadshelper.php on line 3473

[05-Nov-2018 21:08:35 UTC] PHP Stack trace:

[05-Nov-2018 21:08:35 UTC] PHP   1. {main}() C:\Documents\www\mysite\live\index.php:0

[05-Nov-2018 21:08:35 UTC] PHP   2. Joomla\CMS\Application\CMSApplication->execute() C:\Documents\www\mysite\live\index.php:49

[05-Nov-2018 21:08:35 UTC] PHP   3. Joomla\CMS\Application\SiteApplication->doExecute() C:\Documents\www\mysite\live\libraries\src\Application\CMSApplication.php:195

[05-Nov-2018 21:08:35 UTC] PHP   4. Joomla\CMS\Application\SiteApplication->dispatch() C:\Documents\www\mysite\live\libraries\src\Application\SiteApplication.php:233

[05-Nov-2018 21:08:35 UTC] PHP   5. Joomla\CMS\Component\ComponentHelper::renderComponent() C:\Documents\www\mysite\live\libraries\src\Application\SiteApplication.php:194

[05-Nov-2018 21:08:35 UTC] PHP   6. Joomla\CMS\Component\ComponentHelper::executeComponent() C:\Documents\www\mysite\live\libraries\src\Component\ComponentHelper.php:357

[05-Nov-2018 21:08:35 UTC] PHP   7. require_once() C:\Documents\www\mysite\live\libraries\src\Component\ComponentHelper.php:382

[05-Nov-2018 21:08:35 UTC] PHP   8. Joomla\CMS\MVC\Controller\BaseController->execute() C:\Documents\www\mysite\live\components\com_jdownloads\jdownloads.php:34

[05-Nov-2018 21:08:35 UTC] PHP   9. jdownloadsControllerDownload->send() C:\Documents\www\mysite\live\libraries\src\MVC\Controller\BaseController.php:710

[05-Nov-2018 21:08:35 UTC] PHP  10. JDHelper::checkDirectDownloadLimits() C:\Documents\www\mysite\live\components\com_jdownloads\controllers\download.php:473
Edit by admin
  •  

Arno

Hi,
could I get a link to the problem via PM?

Can you download other file types faster? Have you tried it with another file type but (nearly) the same file size?
Best Regards / Gruß
Arno
Please make a Donation for jDownloads and/or write a review on the Joomla! Extensions directory!
  •  

dlcinsd

Any file delivered through JDownloads takes a long time.

I did try completely deleting JDownloads and then doing a fresh install.

That does seem to solve the issue, though it would be a big undertaking to restore all our content.

When I did the fresh install, I tested by creating a nav menu item to a JDownloads category page.  Then did the download from there.

On the actual site the download links are generated by a bit of embed code in { }'s.

Could it be the way the links are created with the { }'s?
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Do you have a menu item List All Categories?  If not could you add one and try again please - later you could put it in a hidden menu.

If you uninstall jD then you can retain the database and the files.  This will be recognised when you re-install.
Also have you changed the jD root directory?
When you say the Downloads are in { }  do you mean they are in articles and you have used the jD Content Plugin?
Colin

Colin M
  •  

dlcinsd

Thank you for your continued help Colin.

I just created a List All Categories menu item in my main nav menu.  I then tried downloading a file via that menu.  Same issue. 

I tried uninstalling JD and keeping the database and files intact.  I then did a reinstall of JD.  Same issue remains.

It seems the issue is only resolved by a complete uninstall of JD and then a fresh reinstall. 

I'm not sure if the jd root directory was changed.  I didn't do the initial set up.

The brackets I'm referencing are in Articles and create links to downloads.  I have attached a screenshot of the html.  However, I don't believe that's the problem.

FYI I did PM Arno.  Haven't heard back yet.

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Thanks for pics. Yes they are regular jD Content Plugin usage so all ok.Not too hopeful of my next suggestion but could you change the layout one to refer to onf of the standard layouts such as{jd_file onlinelayout==Files link only V3.2}
I am sure Arno will look very soon  - but maybe he did not get it!  Could you PM something to me please just to check

Interesting that just reloading the jD code made no change, but a complete reinstall did!! This sounds to me that the database has got itself into a 'knot'.  Sugest in Backend you goto Extenssions - Manage - Database and check Make a Backup first
How many Categories and Downloads do you have?Colin
Colin M
  •  

dlcinsd

I tried your suggestion without success.

I did try "fixing" the database earlier.  Again no change.

632 downloads in 184 Categories.
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Having your staging site frontend address I tried some downloads.

The biggest one was the 8 MByte Catalogue, that is 64Mb (bits).  The current speed of my internet connection is a bit low today at 9.9mbps, that is just unde 10 mega bits per second.  So the theoretical download time is approx 64 seconds. I measured the actual time at on my analogue watch at 66 seconds.  So it was not slow  - by the way I am in the UK.  There was a certain startup time where the screen was blank and that cetainly created the impression of being slow.

Note that many people think Mbps is referring to bytes but that is MBps with capital B for Bytes.
So on that test I did not find the speed actually slow!!

However I tried a small on that took 47secs in a pdf file with just over 1.3Mbits and that took 47secs which is slow!! Also retested my internet spped at just over 12Mbps.  So that was slow.
It seems to me that it is the initial communication/setup time that is the 'challenge'.
Will look more.  This might be the way your staging site is setup on a multi site server.

Colin
Colin M
  •  

dlcinsd

Thank you Colin.

I ran a speed test on my end too.  My download speed is 95.14 Mbps, so plenty fast.

See attached screenshot.

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
  •