News:

Support for jDownloads 3 has been ended
Since 17 August 2023 Joomla.org has discontinued support for Joomla 3.x. Therefore, we will no longer offer official support for our Joomla 3 jDownloads version 3.9.x from January 2024.
Please update your website to the latest Joomla version (Joomla 4 or Joomla 5) as soon as possible. Afterwards, please update jDownloads to the latest published version. The longer you delay, the more difficult the upgrade process for your website is likely to be.

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Multiple categories for downloads

Started by neillsun, 11.08.2018 17:51:22

Previous topic - Next topic

neillsun

Hello,

I have a website with research reports that can cover subjects spanning more than one category. I'd like to know if there is a way I can assign more than one category to these downloads? ... or have this as a feature request for the next version. I could duplicate the downloads, one for each category, but this is a rather wasteful process. I don't have a massive list of files - about 250, but each one needs 2 categories, some need 3.

Thanks,
Neill
  •  

ColinM

Hi
Yes you can have Downloads in different Categories that all use the same file to Download. When creating a new Download use the Select, not the Browse button.  See picColin

[gelöscht durch Administrator]
Colin M
  •  

neillsun

Thanks Colin.

I stumbled across that after copying the downloads to a new category only to find none of the downloads worked - they just showed me the details page, instead of the direct download. After much head-scratching I found that copying the downloads doesn't keep the link to the file, so I had to manually relink every file.

I  can understand the distinction between 'downloads' and 'files' in jDownloads, and how it works now.

So a different approach: it would be nice to be able to select multiple categories when setting up a NEW download and have the download automatically created in each category with a link to the same file... and when copying a download to a new category, retaining the file link would make link much more convenient.

Thanks,
Neill.
  •  

ColinM

Neill,
Part of what you suggest is actually available - it is something I have very, very rarely used and forgot to tell you about it!!If in the Backend you go to Downloads and Select Batch then that gives you the option to Copy the Download to a different Category. It does not copy over the associated file so it becomes a Download with no file.  If the original Title was say 'qwerty' then the one in the selected categoy will have the title 'qwerty(2)'  and an alias 'qwerty_2'.
Colin
Colin M
  •