News:

Dear forum visitors, if the support forum is not available, please try again a few minutes later. Thanks!

Main Menu
Support-Forum

Repeated downloads

Started by aks, 30.07.2018 14:12:56

Previous topic - Next topic

aks

Sorry if this has already been described somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

As I'm testing things, I have been repeatedly downloading the same file, while logged in as the same user. However, this download only seems to be recorded once, or occasionally twice. Afterwards I do not find the downloads in the log and I don't receive any email informing me about the download. Is there a specific limit being applied here to the log and email information and, if so, can you tell me what exactly the limit is? (I should add that this seems to be the case even if I delete the corresponding log entry, i.e. no new log entry is created even if I remove the previous one.)
  •  

ColinM

HiActually this is an intentional feature for users with poor internet connections.
There is a field in User Groups Settings called 'Download Duration' which sets the duration for which a dowload from the same user for the same Download  where it is not cosidered as a new download.  Its default value is 60 minutes. 
You have comprehensively tested that it is working!! 

So for test purposes set the field to say 2 minutes.  Remember it is in all user groups so you need to check on Ranking level of the User group.
Colin
Colin M
  •  

aks

Thank you very much, Colin.  :)  I could not figure out what on earth was going on.
  •  

aks

Hi Colin,

I cannot seem to get this to work. I'm using jDownloads Version 3.2.62 on Joomla 3.8.10. Actually, I am using a user which belongs only to the Registered group. When I change the first few settings on the User Groups Settings for the Registered Group, these settings are taken into account. I think I got as far down as the daily megabyte limit. However, from the weekly megabyte limit downwards, the settings don't seem to be taken into account. This includes the Download Duration parameter. Also, I wonder what the default value for the Download Duration really is, because it seems that even when I try a repeat download after more than 60 minutes, it still isn't logged.

Of course, it may be that I'm just doing something wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. (By the way, I can't seem to introduce carriage returns in this text, sorry!) Alan
  •  

ColinM

Alan,
First the missing  carriage returns .  After you have typed something and used CRs then click on the {k} icon at the end of the 'buttons'.  I also find it a pain!!
If the you repeatedly download the same file then each download starts the timing again.  This will also affect the daily megabtye limit as the repeated downloads will not be counted in the limit.  So for the moment please test the daily megabtye limit using different Downloads just in case we have introduced a 'challenge' with the Download Duration'.
In the meantime I will set up a test to re-check Download Duration' on my test site.
Colin
Colin M
  •  

aks

Colin,
Thank you for your reply. You make a very good point. In effect, if my download is always being classified as the same one, then it is not going to trigger any of the other limits.

Today, I downloaded again some files I downloaded yesterday and they still were not logged, even though there were quite a number of hours between the downloads.

As I'll be away next weekend, it'll give me a chance to wait for a longer period of time to see what happens.

Many thanks,
Alan
  •  

ColinM

Alan
I should have asked a basic question.  In jD Config - Downloads tab there is a field 'Activate log function for Downloads?'
please check this is set to Yes - I had presumed it was but maybe....

Colin
Colin M
  •  

aks

Colin,
You do well to ask, but yes it is set to "yes".
I do get log entries when I download a file for the first time or sometimes more than one time.
If it's working correctly for you, then I obviously must be doing something wrong.

Alan
  •  

ColinM

Alan
The logic here was based on very slow internet connections, and jD waits for the completion.  If you change the Browser page or a new tab then the timing is aborted as it is assumed to be in progress.  Testing is 'tedious'.

In order to test you need to set the time to say 5 minutes. Then go to front end and download. Do NOT change browser page/tab, refesh or similar. After say 2 minutes then do another download of same file.  Do not change browser page, refresh or similar.  After say another 6 or 7 minutes do a third download.
Now goto backend and check log file
Colin
Colin M
  •  

Joaohendrick

Thank you very much, Colin.  :) I could not figure out what on earth was going on.
  •  

quyvinhtgx

Amazing. This is what i'm looking for for the last hour. Thank you.
Tan gai khong kho tai Tangaixinh.com
  •